JCB 3c Ram seal question please

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3c Ram seal question please

Post #21 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Yes Fred I have seen several photos of old Hymacs with a similar repair to the one you are talking about.

Jeremy

Topic author
teddyyy
Flag: Wales

Post #22 by teddyyy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:06 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:HI,
I don't know if you have room to do something like this but I have got round the problem of stripped threads on the ram or cap by cutting two flanges one to weld to the ram casing and one placed under the cap. Both flanges were drilled to take four or six bolts to pull them together and retain the cap.
I have done this on the bucket rams on a Hymac 880 and a Priestman 220. You can see the flanges in this pic of the 220 though the bolts are not very plain.

This method allows you to do all the welding whilst the ram is stripped so there is no risk of heat damage to the seals and the ram can still be dismantled for repair.

Looks like a good fix

essexpete

Post #23 by essexpete » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:49 am

The JCB has (our one did) a design that slows down the dipper on the last of the stroke . Ram extended dipper in. The Hymac 580D did not appear to have that built in and our one did not have a stop on the dipper until I welded one on. Consequently dropping the dipper in quickly to the closed position could mean the ram reaching the stroke end with a bump.

Return to “Tech Talk”