Track Marshall Idler Seals

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
cumminsl10

Track Marshall Idler Seals

Post #1 by cumminsl10 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:07 pm

We have a 1970 model Track Marshall 55 that is part way through a semi-restoration. It needs top idler seals, but Crawford's are unfortunately out of stock and currently don't have a re supply date.

My question is, for the time being, would it be ok to fill the inside of the idlers with grease, until such time the seals become available OR is there a good enough substitute to act as a seal compound in the interim??? Many thanks.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Track Marshall Idler Seals

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:51 pm

cumminsl10 wrote:We have a 1970 model Track Marshall 55 that is part way through a semi-restoration. It needs top idler seals, but Crawford's are unfortunately out of stock and currently don't have a re supply date.

My question is, for the time being, would it be ok to fill the inside of the idlers with grease, until such time the seals become available OR is there a good enough substitute to act as a seal compound in the interim??? Many thanks.

Hi Stuart,
I'm not surprised that you are finding it difficult locating new seals for your machine, I had problems getting them ten or fifteen years ago.
They are of course the Z seals which were unique to Fowler and Marshall.
You should have no problem if you fill the roller with grease till you get the seals. I have even drilled and tapped the end cover and put a hexagon type grease nipple in it so that it can be topped up with a few pumps of grease every so often. That then pushes out any muck which may have got in the other end passed the damaged seal too.
If you are worried about damaging the nipple you could replace it with a plug after greasing.
You may be able to pack the seal housing with some gland packing material like we used in the big pumps to help stop muck getting in the back end too??
Good luck.
Fred

Topic author
cumminsl10

Re: Track Marshall Idler Seals

Post #3 by cumminsl10 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi Fred - many thanks for your reply! It's funny you say about the grease nipple in the idler housing, because that is exactly what we had already done. Our thinking was it was a comparatively poor design anyway and it's far better packed out with grease than the goo they recommend. We will go ahead and pack it with grease and play it by ear.

Thanks again,

Stuart.

Return to “Tech Talk”