ferguson timing

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
martin1

ferguson timing

Post #1 by martin1 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:50 am

Hi, ive recently been trying to start a petrol parafin Fergie with no luck. On turning over all I get is the occasional misfire through the exhaust and nothing else. I get great sparks on all plugs but they remain dry despite getting fuel to the carb. I've removed bonnet and radiator to view crank pulley better and the starter to study flywheel but can find no marks for timing whatsoever as I'd like to check this next. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks, Martin

Jeremy Rowland

Re: ferguson timing

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon May 11, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi Martin welcome to CMN :wave: this is the way in which I would proceed to time up a petrol engine;

1) Remove the distributor cap.
2) Stay well clear of the engines fan and get somebody to just quickly spin the engine on the starter motor so you are certain of the direction of rotation of both the engine and the distributor rotor arm.
3) Remove the rocker cover and carefully with the ignition switched off turn the engine in the direction of rotation until you have number one piston at TDC; you will know when both of the rocker levers have clearance under them on no1 cylinder and no4 cylinder both rocker levers should have no clearance because they will be on 'valve overlap'
4) With the engine set in this position slack off the clamp holding the distributor body then preferably using a simple bulb with two wires attached, one to earth the other touching the condenser side of the points, turn on the ignition.
5) Carefully turn the distributor body until the bulb just goes out, at that point secure the distributor body, you can do this without the bulb and by eyesight but the bulb method is far more accurate.
6) Refit the rotor arm and distributor cap noting the lead that the rotor arm is pointing to at this set position; then simply attach that lead to number 1 cylinder' the other leads will follow in the firing order and DIRECTION OF ROTATION of the distributor rotor arm, the firing order on most four cylinder petrol engines is 1,3,4,2 or if its a six then 1,5,3,6,2,4

I hope this helps out.

Jeremy

P.S. I have only stated how to time up a petrol engine but re-reading your post you may have lack of fuel issues; try the engine on a gravity feed first then if it starts you have a knackered petrol lift pump, if you still have dry plugs then you must have a blockage in the carburettor.

Topic author
martin1

Post #3 by martin1 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Thankyou for such a quick response I was hoping it could be done by this bulb method as it should be straight fwd. The main query was finding tdc which ill try finding with the rocker cover removed. Once I'm happy with timing ill check carb settings and possible blockages if she still doesn't run, Martim

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by Mrsmackpaul » Mon May 11, 2015 9:01 pm

welcome martin I have no experiance with the Ferguson but I feel what Jeremy is saying is fairly sound advice and should get some results good luck with it all and keep us posted

seeya

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
martin1

Post #5 by martin1 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:10 pm

Thankyou I will do, sure I'll be asking for more advice in due course, Martin

Topic author
martin1

Post #6 by martin1 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Ok well ive tried setting the timing, I bought a starting handle and removed the rocker cover. Hopefully I got tdc as definite clearance on no 1 and pressure on both no4 ( but rocker arms weren't equal on 4 but both applying pressure). The bulb tester went well but the rotor arm was between 2 distributor points a little nearer one than the other so was nt sure to go for the slightly neearer one or the one the arm was heading for. Tried both versions with the leads but still won't fire. Plugs are still bone dry but fuel is getting to carb, I'll try gravity feeding clean fuel to carb and ive removed it to try cleaning again. It's a 24 d 2 with new needle valve and float, both jets are clear but I'll dismantle again in case ive missed anything. Not sure how far out I have to wind the air screw and mixture screw so any help here would be good and if ive missed anything else obvious, many thanks Martin

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Martin; how strong a spark have you got across the plug gap? Get somebody to spin the engine with one of the plugs out and resting against the block (earthed) you should have a good spark. Another thing to look at is there a strong spark across the points? If there is then that would indicate that the condenser/capacitor was knackered.

Jeremy

Topic author
martin1

Post #8 by martin1 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:24 pm

I've a good spark on all 4 plugs and I replaced the condensor, coil and points and plug leads. The carb when I removed it was full of fuel but all the plugs were dry as a bone after lots of cranking. All the valves appeared to be operating with no obvious signs of sticking.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 17, 2015 9:05 pm

martin1 wrote:I've a good spark on all 4 plugs and I replaced the condensor, coil and points and plug leads. The carb when I removed it was full of fuel but all the plugs were dry as a bone after lots of cranking. All the valves appeared to be operating with no obvious signs of sticking.

I wonder if the main jet in the carb is blocked :think: the fuel may be getting to the carb but not getting past the float chamber because of a blockage? Try it on a gravity feed first you have nothing to lose.

Jeremy

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #10 by hair bear » Sun May 17, 2015 10:02 pm

Maybe a small syringe of fuel down each of the plug holes then spin it over.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Return to “Tech Talk”