Possible Newage 40M28 Gearbox seize causing engine to stop?

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
weevilknievel

Possible Newage 40M28 Gearbox seize causing engine to stop?

Post #1 by weevilknievel » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:27 am

Hi,

Working on my Benford TT50P "project". It as the Petter PH2 and Newage 40M28 gearbox.

Finally got the engine working after re-working the fuel system.

After about 10mins ticking over, the engine slowed to a stop - I thought it had seized up however the engine would turn OK straight away.

I noticed that when the engine stopped with a shudder, the dumper lurched back/forward a few inches like it had caught a gear.

I opened the gearbox top cover and saw that the box had very little oil in there and what oil there was looked to be emulsified.

The top input shaft area was mostly dry.

I'm guessing that the primary input shaft bearing where it sits into the output shaft had maybe started to seize up against the output shaft near first gear. That area looked dry, black and powdery like it had been hot.

Does this sound like a common problem?

I also notice that the bearing sits high in the box and is probably not sat in oil even if the correct amount is in there? Is this a known issue i.e. you shouldnt leave it ticking over not being driven because the input bearing isn't getting splashed with oil?

Regards,

Julian

david000
Flag: Wales

Re: Possible Newage 40M28 Gearbox seize causing engine to stop?

Post #2 by david000 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:39 pm

For the 40M series.
Depends on the mod state its either EP90 later boxes or 30 gear oil, depends on the bearings, if there roller then ep90 if there is any yellow metal (bronze) 30 gear oil.

Topic author
weevilknievel

Post #3 by weevilknievel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:27 am

Hi David,

According to the TT50 manual its EP90 but will take another look in the box and confirm.

Regards,

Julian

Topic author
weevilknievel

Post #4 by weevilknievel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi David,

Stripped the gearbox and one end of the lay shaft has a bronze bush (cup shaped). All other shafts are roller or needle bearing mounted.

Do you think EP80-90 GL4 be OK? I think the GL4 means its OK to use with Bronze bushes? Think the GL5 is the one that causes problems?

Regards,

Julian

Topic author
weevilknievel

Post #5 by weevilknievel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:22 pm

PS: the gearbox HAD seized between the input shaft and main shaft. The needle bearing had run dry of oil due to a blocked oil passage. The little dish oil-catcher at the top of the gearbox was blocked.

Return to “Tech Talk”