Removing a kingpin pin.

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Removing a kingpin pin.

Post #11 by mechman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:14 am

Reading what Mikerb is saying Im sure he is thinking of welding a bolt to the none threaded side of the cotter pin.
Last edited by mechman on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mechman

Post #12 by mechman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:22 am

Reading Mikerbs post Im sure it reads that he means to weld a bolt to the none threaded end of the cotter pin.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #13 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:10 am

Perhaps the most important thing to mention is that when ever I replaced a kingpin on a truck I always tried the new taper pin by 'feel' only in the axle, generally I have carefully 'backed' off part of the outside diameter of the new taper pin if it is a 'too tight a fit'
I also always smeared plenty of copper anti-seize grease onto the new taper pin before finally hammering it into the axle; this does make a difference if you should ever have to do the job again.

Jeremy

Topic author
Mikerb

Post #14 by Mikerb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:46 pm

It is the cotter pin that I'm talking about, in Mrsmackpaul's picture.

I'm assuming that the pin is inserted with the threaded end first then the bold holds it in place. So to extract it, you would hammer (for want of a better word) the threaded end to push it back out?

I tried this and it just distorted and bent, then eventually snapped as I was straightening it, so I was going to make a puller to go in the none threaded end as mechman said.

I think a mixture of heat, pulling and bashing might budge it.

Mike

Jeremy Rowland

Post #15 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Mikerb wrote:It is the cotter pin that I'm talking about, in Mrsmackpaul's picture.

I'm assuming that the pin is inserted with the threaded end first then the bold holds it in place. So to extract it, you would hammer (for want of a better word) the threaded end to push it back out?

I tried this and it just distorted and bent, then eventually snapped as I was straightening it, so I was going to make a puller to go in the none threaded end as mechman said.

I think a mixture of heat, pulling and bashing might budge it.

Mike

Yes Mike you hammer the threaded end to remove it; I have no idea what the diameter of the pin is, about 12mm or so? You could drill and tap it M8 and try pulling it that way; it would be stronger than trying to pull on a weld, although my preference would be to drill it out

Jeremy

Topic author
Mikerb

Post #16 by Mikerb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
Yes Mike you hammer the threaded end to remove it; I have no idea what the diameter of the pin is, about 12mm or so? You could drill and tap it M8 and try pulling it that way; it would be stronger than trying to pull on a weld, although my preference would be to drill it out

Jeremy

I hadn't thought about threading it, that might be easier and I wouldn't have to get it to the workshop to do the welding! Great idea cheers.

Topic author
Mikerb

Post #17 by Mikerb » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:33 pm

I've just raised a new topic that follows on from this one. I managed to drill out the retaining pin. But can't move the main pin, no matter how hard I bash it!

kipme
Flag: Netherlands

Post #18 by kipme » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:49 pm

if some bolt gets stuck on me i normally get som WD40 give it 5 min then try again.
Have you tried getting a jack in between? using this when i overhaul forklift rear axles

Return to “Tech Talk”