Allis Chalmers 160 Tachometer

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
nicholasT

Allis Chalmers 160 Tachometer

Post #1 by nicholasT » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:49 pm

The tach cable on my 160 is gone. I would like to fix it somehow so I don't have to rely so much on how the engine sounds... Finding a replacement cable as so far proven impossible. Considering the type of cable it is, similar to the type of flex cable used in a weed whacker, has anyone had any luck fabricating one?

I have also been looking into replacing the mechanical one with an electronic one if I can just find a pulse source on the engine. I have seen some alternators that have this option, perhaps once for marine engines, but not sure how it would apply here and with a 3 cyl engine.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Allis Chalmers 160 Tachometer

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi Nik welcome :wave: this may sound a daft idea but have you tried searching for a cable manufacturer, there must be some company out there that make cables for older machines?

Jeremy

Topic author
nicholasT

Post #3 by nicholasT » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Actually had not thought of search for a cable mfg. Still trying to determine the required dimensions. Guess I need to do more research to determine what this type of cable is actually called.

Topic author
nicholasT

Post #4 by nicholasT » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Update on this issue. I removed what was left of the tach cable (housing only) and found that the parts in the 90deg connector were also completely frozen up. It appears these parts are no longer available either. So, new plan. Since it appears that my alternator is going bad as well, I am going to replace it with one similar to a Bosche A9971N which supports 1 wire hook up; using an internal voltage regulator, and includes a tach output (electronic). I will then remove the external voltage regulator and wire in a new electronic tach that supports a 3 cylinder configuration. The alternator referenced above has about a 95A output, but one I have found that provides the same configuration (and cheaper) is rated at 65A.

Once I get this going, then my plan is to build a new instrument panel using new gauges for oil pressure, fuel, voltage and the new tach. Not sure if the new tach will be as accurate as the mechanical one but it should be close enough.

For any AC160 die hards: I will be saving all parts removed; so when the time comes that I sell it, those parts will be available.

Return to “Tech Talk”