82 JCB 3CX reverses but struggles to go forward and leaking oil

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
derod

82 JCB 3CX reverses but struggles to go forward and leaking oil

Post #1 by derod » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi, I have just bought a 1982 JCB 3CX Whitecab Sitemaster. Serial Numbers are 298366/P/S/P, engine 835856J, gearbox 13027/682/299, T/C is 8867 and rear axle 02010.

It reverses with no hesitation but regularly refuses to move forward. I added JCB 10w trans oil to level when cold and it ran fine for 1 day. The problem is now back and the dipstick shows no oil. I have looked underneath and there is a drip from the hole in the bottom of the bellhousing.

I have been using the 214 manual in downloads but it shows filters and screens which are not fitted to mine. Is this the right manual and should the level be checked when cold or hot?

Sorry for such a long post but I have run out of ideas!! Any help very gratefully received!!

cheers Rod

essexpete

Re: 82 JCB 3CX reverses but struggles to go forward and leaking oil

Post #2 by essexpete » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:58 pm

It does sound as though you have a leak. You should check the oil level whilst the engine is idling or immediately on stopping. If you go to check cold with out running the reading should be high. You will probably need a pressure test on the transmission to be sure of the problem but it is likely you have a forward clutch problem and possibly another leak as well.
With luck some more members with more knowledge will be along soon.

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by philwheelton » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:33 pm

the torque converters have a habit of splitting and leaking don't run the m/c with out any oil as it will burn the forward clutch pack out

Topic author
derod

Post #4 by derod » Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi lad's, sorry it's been a while but I had a wee heart attack!! (Really) Just to say thanks for replies and and give an update. Turned out to be torque converter seals only, thankfully. Parts very cheap but good fun maneuvering bell-housing on trolley jack!!

cheers crofter

Return to “Tech Talk”