JCB 3C MKII COOLING SYSTEM REFILL DO I NEED TO BLEED IT

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
topkit
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 3C MKII COOLING SYSTEM REFILL DO I NEED TO BLEED IT

Post #1 by topkit » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:56 pm

I decided i would give my machine a radiator flush and system drain today so warmed her up and added flushing liquid wow was the water dirty when i drained it! My question is now i drained the system down from the tap on the engine block after i flushed it through when it had cooled down. On refilling it i gave it a good stong mix of anti freeze and distilled water, Does anyone know of a specific proceedure ie do you just top it up then run it then top it up again or is there anyway to bleed the system. :think:

essexpete

Re: JCB 3C MKII COOLING SYSTEM REFILL DO I NEED TO BLEED IT

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:52 am

Well somone might get very technical but I never bled the cooling system on our old 3cs.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:31 pm

To be safe I would suggest that you let the engine reach normal working temperature, feel the top hose to make sure its warm then you know the thermostat has opened okay, then switch her off and carefully remove the rad cap and top up if required. ;)

Jeremy

diggerjones

Post #4 by diggerjones » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:24 pm

hi all, can anyone tell me why distilled water.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:09 pm

diggerjones wrote:hi all, can anyone tell me why distilled water.

Personnally I never bothered using distilled water in a cooling system, you are supposed to use it when topping up batteries. The reason is because tap water contains all sorts of chemical crap such as fluoride etc..............
Some manufacturers such as for example Cummins Diesel used to have a water filter specially for the cooling system, it was called an inhibitor and contained chemicals to try and prevent system corrosion and liner caviatation (they used wet liners).
With a normal dry liner engine I could see no real problem with using tap water, its what I have always used (and in batteries when no ones looking :lol: ).

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:52 am

I have only ever used tap water, but alway mixed with a good quality antifreeze. Ideally the antifreeze needs to be changed every 2 years or so as I am led to believe the corrosion inhibitors break down in time

Topic author
topkit

Post #7 by topkit » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:34 pm

I got the anti freeze all done before this bad weather thank goodness, i have run my 3c mk2 up several times and she needed one small top up, when i flushed the radiator and block out there was a fair bit of sludge. My temperature guage works now which is a bonus!! i think i will give it another flush through and fresh anti freeze again in the spring as well as an oil change. :think:

kerniki

Post #8 by kerniki » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:15 pm

do you mind me asking, how did you flush the block? not done it before & need to, need to flush the transmission as well :(

Topic author
topkit

Post #9 by topkit » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:29 pm

I purchsed some rad flush and then just added it to the water, i then ran the machine up and used it for about half an hour after that i let it cool down again then i drained the block you will find a small tap on the sde of the block also a tap on the radiator so both drained, then i pu a hose into the top of the radiator and closed the adiator tap so the water filled the rad and then the block (make sure the machine has cooled right down do not do this when it is hot) as the water runs through you will find it is filthy but it will gradually clean and become clear, then close the tap on the block do the same to the radiator, when it is all clear you will need to drain it once again before you add your anti freeze mix, then i ran the machine and just checked and topped up, it has been perfect ever since. I have recently just done my Massey 40 digger the same way.

Return to “Tech Talk”