3DIII glazing.

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
Tim_Arnold
Flag: Great Britain

3DIII glazing.

Post #1 by Tim_Arnold » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi

Stage 1 of the refurb complete. All rust cut out from cab and new panels welded in. Stage 2 rub down and repaint, to do this the glass needs to come out and I doubt that the gaskets will survive. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good (cheap) supplier
Tim Arnold
http://www.parklandsholidays.co.uk
JCB 3D3, Benford 1ton Dumper, Benford Pedestrian Roller.

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 3DIII glazing.

Post #2 by Stormin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:55 am

If it's the sort of gasket or rubber strip with seperate filler I'm thinking of, the main rubber may well survive and be re-usable but the filler seems to harden and crack more easily.
This place has a good selection of various types or rubber and fillers. Not cheap though.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-122-screen-section.aspx

Even though the main rubbers may be in good condition the fact they will have hardened over the years by exposure to sunlight will make it much more dificult to re-glaze and raise the chances or breaking the new glass. If you really want it looking good and the glazing job to be as easy as possible new rubber and fillers all round is the only way.

Any pictures of your restoration so far please?

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Norman is right,the rubber beading goes hard over the years and will make it harder to fit the glass.the filler is the same.I replace the rubber when doing a reatoration.Its not expensive.I am lucky around this area as there is a plant glazing guy that I can obstain rubber beading.I also have a tool to make it easier to fit the filler.Much easier than using a screwdriver.
I would take a sample of the rubber to a supplier to make sure that you get the right one.Also,if the rubber is hard and cracked,its often best to cut out the old rubber with a stanley knife to avoid breaking the glass on removal.On larger windscreens its better to have some help.
A few years ago I asked a glasier to renew a rear window on a 933,his firm were not fully conversant with fitting glass to earthmovers.
I was away that day,when I got home,the job was not done,on closer inspection the cab area was covered in blood.This guy had a bit of a misshap whilst attempting to do the job :dizzy:
So you have to take care on this job.
Martyn

TEZB

Post #4 by TEZB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:31 pm

I built a new cab for my 3c and used the glass from my old cab (rotten as a pear), I used new beading and filler and also bought the instalation tool (invaluable). I fitted it myself but with hindsight you are best with a helping hand, just be aware that the glass becomes a bit more brittle with age.

Return to “Tech Talk”