A tired Pel-Job EB36

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
thinfourth

A tired Pel-Job EB36

Post #1 by thinfourth » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi there

I ‘m new to the forum and I have a few bits of kit in an effort to clear up our land in the northeast of Scotland.

I’m a marine engineer by trade so have a damn good idea about diesel engines especially of the larger type. Biggest I worked with was 75,000Bhp so not scared of big stuff.

The first bit of kit I have is a 1990ish vintage Peljob EB36.

Everything works fine but it isn’t the quickest or smoothest in operation.

I have changed the return filter as the old one was pretty past it and the hydraulic oil isn’t in the best of condition with a few signs of water in it. I intend to change this at some point.

The problem I am seeing is on the pilot controlled operations. You need damn near full revs for any of the boom operations to work. Which are on the sidesticks which are pilot operating the spools. The operations which aren’t on the side sticks (tracking and blade) work fine no matter what the revs. The blade will lift the machine even at tickover so I think the pumps are producing enough pressure.

It gets odder as when you first start it up from cold the pilot controls will work for a few operations at idle and then stop. If you then operate a direct control it will get the boom operations to work again briefly.

So I think it is something to do with the pilot pressure thingy.

Is there any tests I can do to test this?

I don’t have any pressure gauges but I am willing to buy a set to help tie things down..

Does anyone know what pressure the pilot oil should be at?

Many thanks

paul

EB22

Re: A tired Pel-Job EB36

Post #2 by EB22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Hello Paul,

HAve you made any progress with 'loss of servo controls on your EB36' as I'm in the same boat.

I've got an EB22, pumps and all functions are excellent except the loss of servo's unless you've previously used the none servo travel (or hammer) circuits.
As soon as the left or right track is moved, you feel the hydraulic operated servos pressurise and so long as you keep moving at lease one ram all is good (I've got used to keeping a little pressure on the slew motor whilst digging)
As soon as you stop operating the boom, the servos go off line. A quick knock of the travel levers and the servos seem to work again.

I too suspect the pilot oil supply regulator, but I've no idea how it works, I've tried turning 5 in the picture, and the bleed screw on 2 shows it's full of oil.

I suspect the regulator as either track control seems to pressurise the servo controls, and I guess this regulator is designed to give feedback through the controls when loaded (just a guess) and maybe sticking somehow?

Interestingly, my digger also has the hammer pipe looped back on it's self, but I'm thinking this is a red herring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tech Talk”