JCB 3c MK11 Diesel in engine oil

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
time travel

Re: JCB 3c MK11 Diesel in engine oil

Post #41 by time travel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:38 am

Hi Mark

Got the kit and replaced most of the seals. Put steering pump back in and waited a day to see if any drips of oil etc. Only one drip (from Sump)? Might have been since the backhoe is on a slight learn to the front and left side (ground), so with me getting up and down etc moved a bit of oil from the front of the pan to the sump hole (did not take pan off).

Anyway, wired up fuel pump properly and bleed fuel lines and guess what she started after about 3 mins of bleeding the systems (turning motor over).

Well I was so happy and my mate and I had a good laugh. Turned her off after a minute or two and checked oil and water (topped up) and then restarted. So easy.

Lost a bit of oil when pulling off and refitting the steering pump. So when I started it the main pump sounded like it needed a bit of oil and the front bucket had to be moved (due to gound moving support) and the pump started to cavitate (anyway air).

So now to top up hydraulic oil and do seal for axle and back on the road, well the paddocks.

More to come soon.

By the way she sounded beautiful and smoke (very little and nice coulour) :-)

from a very happy person :claphands: :thumbup:
Last edited by time travel on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark.Rive

Post #42 by Mark.Rive » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi John, pleased all is okay with your machine and the leak is fixed. Will look forward to further updates. Thanks for your comment on my 3DII message. Its a long slow haul for sure :thumbup: Cheers Mark

Topic author
time travel

Post #43 by time travel » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:25 am

Well the tears started today, well this arvo after work.

Went down to the back paddock and put in 25litres of oil for the hydraulics.

Before starting I checked the dip stick and oil had risen about 3-4mm (on dip stick). What the heck?? :arrrrgh:

Any way started it and operated all the rams and the boom ram blow a bit of oil (when almost fully closed), all the rest okay. no cavitating but will need more oil.

Lifted the front of the machine off the ground and turned the wheels back and forth. Bit of oil came out of the steering box and the steering was a bit heavy. Not sure how fast the wheels should turn???

So if raining tomorrow (no work) then I will drain the injector pump again and see if the oil grows again. If it does not then up for about $1500 to service the injector pump. :thumbdown: Unless there is a seal I can easily replace and not pull injector pump apart??? Any thoughts please

What a shame :(

At least the engine is running fine :thumbup: Well it has one rev point (down pretty low) where it runs slightly rough compared to all other positions on the throttle cable.

Topic author
time travel

Post #44 by time travel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:51 am

Well an interesting update.

drained about 2lts from the engine and the dipstick showed just under full.

Came back a few days later and oil still at same level. So started the engine and operated all rams (also filled the back actor) and it was moving beautfilly. (still need to do axle seal), so machine not moving at the moment

came back a day later and oil at the same level. So I am presuming the steering pump shaft seal needed wearing in?

Any thoughts?

Mark.Rive

Post #45 by Mark.Rive » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 pm

mmmm interesting. Maybe the seal swelled up and stopped the leak?? Least its fixed, wish mine would fix itself up :D

Topic author
time travel

Post #46 by time travel » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:07 am

Yes it is interesting. Also the engine is running really nice.

Jobs left:
Brakes what brakes :-)
Axle seal and bearings
Now one of the rams on the top of the boom. Ram F I think on the ram seal file.

Return to “Tech Talk”