Lister TS3 electrics

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
perdixrouge

Lister TS3 electrics

Post #1 by perdixrouge » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi folks. Anybody familiar with the charging/wiring system on these engines as fitted to the average dumper? I have a 3ton Stothert & Pitt SXD030 from the early 90's at a guess, and am trying to get to the bottom of why it doesn't seem to be charging its battery. The charging system is run off the flywheel, something akin to a magneto system as far as I can make out, and all I have is 4 wires exiting the housing, 2 of which go to a heat sink (regulator?) and 2 which are not connected anywhere. Any info/wiring diagrams would be most helpful. As indeed would any workshop manual info on the beast.
Thanks all.
Pete

martyn williams

Re: Lister TS3 electrics

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:14 pm

I will see if I can find my books on dumpers,I can remember many years ago,about the late 1980 working on dumpers built by S&P,I can remember that the alternator was driven off the flywheel,also I remember they were troublesome.You may need to change the unit,if you can get hold of one.Try to get info from Lister Petter.
Martyn
Email: sales@lister-petter.co.uk

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by modelman093 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:51 pm

perdixrouge wrote:Hi folks. Anybody familiar with the charging/wiring system on these engines as fitted to the average dumper? I have a 3ton Stothert & Pitt SXD030 from the early 90's at a guess, and am trying to get to the bottom of why it doesn't seem to be charging its battery. The charging system is run off the flywheel, something akin to a magneto system as far as I can make out, and all I have is 4 wires exiting the housing, 2 of which go to a heat sink (regulator?) and 2 which are not connected anywhere. Any info/wiring diagrams would be most helpful. As indeed would any workshop manual info on the beast.
Thanks all.
Pete

Hi Peter,
I have a TS3 on a stand-by gene for the house but have never had it apart but in my day job dealing with commercial grass cutting equipment the flywheel alternator is common.
In side the flywheel will be a circle of permanent magnets that will rotate around a stator (series of coils) bolted to the end of the engine. As the magnets pass the coils they will generate alternating current.
My guess is that the two wires connected to your "heat sink - (that I think will be a rectifier/regulator) are taking AC current from the coils and the two "spare wires are the DC output for battery charging.
Assuming that the engine runs you can try connecting a 12volt bulb to these two wires and see what happens! If you've got light you have output but it could be either AC or DC. If you've got a multimeter set it to DC volts - if not auto-ranging set it to 20volts - and try again - hopefully you will get a reading - in which case it is DC output for battery charging. If nothing happens try AC 20 volts - hopefully you won't have a reading but if you do it won't be any good for battery charging unless you can rectify it to DC - add a diode.
If you get no joy from any of this go back to the two wires that are connected to your "heat sink" and do the AC test across these but set the meter to a higher reading - I would expect 28/35 volts AC . No output here and you may have a problem with the stator - to check this out one needs some specification for resistance etc.
If all this fails find someone with specific Lister knowledge!
regards
Angus

Topic author
perdixrouge

Post #4 by perdixrouge » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Angus, Martyn, thanks for your replies - much appreciated. I have found a little info from a TS3 parts manual, inasmuch as it confirms what you are saying Angus, re the regulator, and the fact that the unit I have was superseded by a similar set up of another manufacture, and parts were not interchangeable. No doubt parts for either are now obsolete and hard to find.
I will put the multimeter across the wires next time its warm enough to play mechanics, and see what results are forthcoming.
again, thanks for the input guys.

Return to “Tech Talk”