JCB bucket forks shafting

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

JCB bucket forks shafting

Post #1 by MrF » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:34 pm

Are the original jcb bucket fork shafts made from solid bar? and if so does anyone have any idea what grade?

I need to fabricate the hinges and a bar shaft for my old 3c project for my own personal use only (no h&s involved and I already know not to get under something lifting anything to trust myself not to get injured), and I was wondering what the originals were like specification wise to take some guidance from, having never seen a set in the metal. I probably will bite the bullet and order a single length of solid en 16t and form from that.

I have some 3cx forks which take the 45mm shafting, and plan to make some qd brackets to weld onto the 3in1 on the front of my 3ciii like these, plasma cut from some 5mm plate with 6 strategically brackets instead of 3 to support the fork bar in double shear a bit better.
http://www.budgetforklift.com/jcb-bucket-forks.html

Another option is to make the bucket side full circle brackets but have a clip pin of some description and make the shaft slide out. More hassle to fit but my time isnt money. But any distortion in the bar would make it a pain to get back out, unless the tolerances between bar and bucket eyes were very sloppy?

Not quite restoration, but you can only unload pallets of materials into the front bucket so many times before it gets old. My old beastie still has a job of work to do...

d4c24a

Re: JCB bucket forks shafting

Post #2 by d4c24a » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:00 pm

MrF wrote:Are the original jcb bucket fork shafts made from solid bar? and if so does anyone have any idea what grade?

hi mrf the bar is solid ,do not know what the grade is ,i have some somewhere that came off a 3cx
cheers graham
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Return to “Tech Talk”