Dead D4D 44H

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
david22a

Dead D4D 44H

Post #1 by david22a » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:58 pm

I've been asked by a friend if i can help find the problem with his D4D. From his description, it sounds as if the injection pump has jammed in the stop position. He was cultivating with the tractor pulling well, he parked up stopped the engine and ever since no life can be coaxed out of it. With no smoke signals, a good fuel supply and cranking speed, we took the side plate off the pump and the rotary shaft that alters the injection pumps apears stuck. Having more experience with the older, larger rack type pumps i was wondering if anybody had seen or helped to fix a similar problem? Any help or advice would be great. David

martyn williams

Re: Dead D4D 44H

Post #2 by martyn williams » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Hello David
Try,remove the side plate and spray internals with WD40,gently tap the casing with a hammer shaft.Also try pouring hot water over the pump casing,operate the throttle lever.
Martyn

Topic author
david22a

Post #3 by david22a » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks Martyn, i've tried some gentle persuasion and the pump housing runs full of fuel on this model. Hoping to have the time to tare it down and find out exactly where and what the jamming or seizing is, apart from this problem its a lovely genuine ag D4 that will still be used for ploughing, cultivating and rolling on a neighbouring farm.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by John Gaunt » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi Dave, Have you asked the question on acmocbb.org, our US ACMOC friends' bulletin board ?
There are some really knowledgeable people on there.

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:33 pm

Hello John
There was a similar problem on a machine in the US that was posted on the ACMOC board.TC and myself put some ideas forward.Will try to track down the item to see what happened.
I cured this fault that David has on another machine some years back.Thats all I did was boil a kettle and poured hot water over the pump casing.I guess this expanded the casing and freed up something inside.Hope it is simple as that as pump overhauls are expensive.
Martyn

Return to “Tech Talk”