volvo d42 engine balancer gears

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
sloanalbert

volvo d42 engine balancer gears

Post #1 by sloanalbert » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi does anyone know the correct way to time the balancer gears to the crankshaft. I have been told to align all the other timing marks which puts no1 cyl at tdc , then to fit balancer gear assembly with the 2 small bolt threads on gear wheels aligned together in the middle. Any help please!.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: volvo d42 engine balancer gears

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:36 am

Hi Albert welcome to CMN :wave: I am hazarding a guess here but are there any timing marks on the gears that drive the balancer shafts? They could be simple notches but I would imagine there must be some accurate way to time them.

Jeremy

Topic author
sloanalbert

Post #3 by sloanalbert » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks Jeremy I have aligned all the marks at the timing gears and will continue with the rest of the engine build unless someone tells me a different way to time in the balancer gears.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:58 am

Albert I would guess that the gears that drive the balancer shafts have a key to lock them onto the shafts so if the gear timing marks align I would think that this should be the correct setup for this engine.

Jeremy

Topic author
sloanalbert

Post #5 by sloanalbert » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Yeah I think it will be ok to go with that. My problem arose as I was unable to align the timing marks when dismantling as the bottom end had seized up, including the balancer gear bushes. The engine had water in the oil and had sheared the half moon key which drove the oil pump and created the problem.

Return to “Tech Talk”