jcb 3c 3 powertrain leaks

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
jamesc192

jcb 3c 3 powertrain leaks

Post #1 by jamesc192 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:15 pm

hi all

just looking for some advice really my 3c 3 powertrain has developed two major leaks from different areas, the first and most major one is atf, it has been leaking a bit of atf for a while was usually about half a litre top up each month into the transmission ( she is used alot on our farm most days), but it has suddenly now become daily, i got underneath and cleaned up with a rag and found the source of the leak, it is coming from inbetween the bell housing and engine, there is a very small imperfection in the bellhousing underneath where it meets the engine, i am pretty sure this should be nothing to do with is it is just coming out of here as it is the easiest route, please correct me if i am wrong but i dont think there should be any oil in the bell housing it should be contained further back in the torq box, what i would like to know is if it is a seal gone inbetween the torq box and the bell housing area? if i drop the box out can i just replace any seals that need doing, if it was worn out i would send it away and have it recon but the clutch packs forward and reverse seem really good, it pushes really well even in second and drives fine on the road in 4th even up small hills so hopfully dont need a recon box.
the second leak is hydraulic oil coming out of the top of the steering column, cleaned this up too, it is coming out just underneath the steering wheel right at the very top of the steering column? is there a seal kit in the top of here?

sorry for the essay just wanted to try and explain thoroughly

any advice would be greatly apreciated.

many thanks

James
james

jcb 812 powerslide
jcb 3c 111 powertain extradig
jcb 520-4
John Deere 4240s x2
John Deere 3050
John Deere 1640
mb trac 1100 turbo
international 434

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Re: jcb 3c 3 powertrain leaks

Post #2 by philwheelton » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 pm

the leak from the bell housing could be the seal on the torque converter to pump but the torque converters do some times crack around the spigot that fit's into the fly wheel and the leak from the top of the steering pump, there is a seal around the shaft in to the pump

mambo

Post #3 by mambo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 pm

this is whats it the top of the shaft
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
jamesc192

Post #4 by jamesc192 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:04 pm

thanks guys the help is much appreciated

James
james

jcb 812 powerslide
jcb 3c 111 powertain extradig
jcb 520-4
John Deere 4240s x2
John Deere 3050
John Deere 1640
mb trac 1100 turbo
international 434

philwheelton

Post #5 by philwheelton » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:04 pm

I would have thought it should be a danfoss unit in a power train, if it is the older type the seal cuts into the shaft sticking out of the top and will not reseal !....

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”