more problems...more part numbers

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
mambo
Flag: Great Britain

more problems...more part numbers

Post #1 by mambo » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:00 pm

yet again every time i go near the old girl i touch something that either falls off or does something else its not supposed to.

the other day while working, when i left her idling i kept hearing a strange little rattle like a bearing breaking up.
today while doing my oil change i noticed where the noise was coming from

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QI0EAhtUsx0[/video]

water pump has gone :( no telltale coolant loss or seeping from the telltale hole :eh:
anyway while working on her i noticed the nearside front had a bit of wobble to it.
found nearside trackrod end and stub axle swivel pin with serious play

So i need to find part numbers for parts 11-15 and 18-22 (obviously not 20 :thumbup: )

and part number for waterpump B-E - (i think the pump number is 03/101600 if someone can confirm)

Topic author
mambo

Re: more problems...more part numbers

Post #2 by mambo » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Is the track rod end 107/02301 ?

agrimax

Post #3 by agrimax » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 pm

That part number seems to be correct according to google and ebay. Also,you would be better replacing the complete waterpump rather than trying to overhauling it.An example is from Sparex.Pt no S.63064 for a Leyland tractor should be the same.

Steelfab

Post #4 by Steelfab » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:44 am

Last week I overhauled the complete steering system on my 3C MK3 which included new wheel hubs, stub axle, track rod, track rod ends, steering ram pins, and steering motor. The bushes (no 22), part number 808/00098 are bronze and are £25 each, two are required per side. If you get stuck I have a spare set I would part with. I don't believe the stub axles are available from JCB but you may find them elesewhere but would expect them to be very expensive but with new bushes mine is as tight as new. The track rods are also very expensive and had the last two from JCB, part number is 107/02301 for the RH thread and 107/02302 for left hand thread which is on the steering ram side. The track rods from JCB were £168 each. The thrust bearing (item 21) is part number 916/01700. I also replaced the two tapered roller bearings inside the wheel hub as I wanted to get the steering as perfect as possible which indeed it is now. Be careful when fitting the new bushes not to 'egg' them when knocking them in as mine were tight to go in and if they get burred they will not go in. If you get stuck for these parts let me know as I may have some new bearings, bushes and hub

Topic author
mambo

Post #5 by mambo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Steelfab
Thanks for the help yet again
I've managed to get all the parts I need except the thrust bearing. Do you know anyone with them in stock? I still can't find anyone with that hydraulic strainer gasket either [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

Topic author
mambo

Post #6 by mambo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:56 am

Ok I give up!
Can anyone tell me the secret to getting the pulley off the front of the water pump?
I've tapped it, heated it and left it overnight with a puller applying moderate pressure + lashings of WD40, and the thing still refuses to move.
Am I missing something?

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #7 by TrevorJ » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm not familiar with the JCB, but, there are some simple things which will improve the odds of getting the pulley off without damaging it.

You may have done or checked this already, and just simplified your comment above.

If you've cleaned up the front of the pulley surface and spotted some extra holes that appear to be blind, chances are they are threaded and there are 2, 3 or 4 holes spaced around so bolts can turn in and gently force the pulley off. If so, you may be able to push the pulley off by way of screwing, (in an even manner) suitable bolts into threaded holes in the pulley plate. Generally there's not a lot of body where these threads are, so tension accordingly.

If there are threaded holes in the pulley, but nothing they can push against, chances are the pulley is designed to be removed with a plate puller. ( Just guessing yours isn't like that - the diagram doesn't seem it suggest to me it's large enough.

Pulleys can be quite obstinate, especially those which are a tight fit, and there is no threated hole feature to aid removal.

This means using a puller, and two legs may be alright if the pulley isn't too tight, but three legs would be my choice, in most instances. Many smaller pullers legs are just going to pull on the outside of the pulley ... the aim is to get as close to the bottom of the vee that is feasable. (Again, I'm not familiar with JCB to know how much room you've got there.)

Tighten the puller to a level back to the "moderate" pressure you're happy with. The trick with a puller is hitting the top of the puller with a hammer while under tension. The jarring of the shock does wonders to tight things. Something small and fragile like a pulley, just a light tap a number of times, and check then if it has gotten easier to turn, and for deformation just in case. If it's not easier, you can try hitting just a little hard and check again. If it is easier and it hasn't deformed, turn the puller in some more to back to what you're comfortable with. Tap the top of the puller again a few times and check and so on.

Other things which helps - I'd use this only if replacing the water pump. If you've got access to quick heat, like oxy acetylene - ten or so seconds over the front surface with a good flame, and a gentle tap from behind to see if the expanded front surface has given enough to let if come off. In some instances, yours may be one of them, the puller is already placed, exerting some pressure before quickly heating the surface. ( I say ten or so, because again, I just don't know how thick the metal in the pulley is, but mineral oil if placed there immediately afterwards would instantaneously fume and smoke - the metal doesn't need to go anywhere near a dull red glow)

If ther isn't any movement, quickly drip over mineral oil around any exposed joints, ie the collars front and back. Wait to cool, try the puller again. No luck - knowing it really is being difficult, bag the water pump in a clean disposable waterproof bag and place it in the freezer overnight. Other bags work, but there's usually someone around the household who'd have preferred you'd hopped in the freezer as well, to get a first hand experience of the penetrating fumes given off by even fairly clean parts.

Overnight in a freezer or even a couple of hours in a freezer set to very cold, everything shrinks a little, so a quick heat should create a wider clearance between the two parts.

The important thing is heat quickly, and then move straight into trying to see if the pulley has freed up a little, without any delay. Pullers are a bit of an obstacle in the way, does make it a little harder to heat evenly, but is can be worthwhile. The puller shouldn't be quite as tight as you would if it were cold though.

HTH if you haven't tried that already.

Topic author
mambo

Post #8 by mambo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi TrevorJ

Welcome and thanks for the very comprehensive reply.
As you say i had simplified my answer a fair amount.
You made a few comments that confirmed i was on the right track, and also made me look at maybe somethings i didn't have quite right.
i had the puller behind the pulley rather than in the V groove, and i was tapping the pulley at 90º to the mating face.
Anyhow, i adjusted the puller and gave it several sharp blows and it started to move.
But to my surprise

IMG_0478.JPG

The second part got a little deformed on the mating face during removal, but should straighten up ok.

IMG_0479.JPG

Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time to assist me on this and hopefully someone else may learn from it too :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steelfab

Post #9 by Steelfab » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 pm

the thrust bearings are standard off the shelf parts which Bearing Services LTD will be able to source for you if you take them to them, or you may be able to still read the bearing number which if you quote them they be able to identify. If you are still struggling let me know as I have kept the old bearings for this reason. I got mine from JCB so suprised if you are having difficulty finding them.They are around £28 each

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #10 by TrevorJ » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 am

Oh goodness, I definitely meant from behind, and as close to the bottom of the vee as you can, so using a bigger puller with more depth of a big leg or a purpose built leg to give that reach around, was where I was heading. The quick fix for a leg that still insists on pulling the outside, is to make an almost full ring out of a bar of suitable thickness for the puller legs to sit against.

Looks like a little bit of work to form it back to true, but off is off.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”