JCB 3C2 newbie owner - stack of questions!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
rocky_robin
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 3C2 newbie owner - stack of questions!

Post #1 by rocky_robin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello all, :wave:

Firstly, this is a great site for info that I've required. :thumbup:
I've just purchased a JCB 3C2 at the weekend. It's due for delivery this weekend (thanks to the snow up here!). It's a bit of a shed, but works! There are a few issues such as the glass removed from the very rusty cab (will re-instate once the welder gets warmed up), stuck jack leg, sticky clutch mechanism, etc, etc, etc.

I'm good at mechanics, but tractors / diggers is new to me. Please excuse the probably easy questions!
So,
1) Can I use normal 'car' diesel or has it got to be red diesel? I know that red is half the price, but can normal diesel cause any damage?

2) One of the jack leg is leaking badly. Are ram's easily fixed DIY? I've read somewhere on here using a fabricated C-spanner, but no more info. Is it just a case of removing the end cap, pulling out the ram/piston, redressing (if there is no damage) and re-install?

3) Will the ram seal kit come with all seals, or can you purchase them individually? I don't know which seal is leaking yet, but just incase it's just the internal seal in the end cap.

4) How can you remove the jack ram without the capability of lifting it out from the top, as shown in the Worshop manual? Can you jack up the rear using the back acter to let it drop out at the bottom?

5) Could the hydraulic hose be used to by-pass the leg, whilst I have it off so I can still use the machine?

6) The manual says that the JCB needs to use 20w20 engine oil or equivelent. Is there any other oil that can be used instead? I've tried to source locally, but to no vail as yet.

7) Has anyone created a photographic 'idiots' guide to installing the glow plug into the inlet manifold to aid cold starting? I've tried to understand and follow the text that some folks have written on here, but sadly can't picture it. I'm too used to car glow plugs going straight into each cylinder! :doh:

8) Are there a limited number of places that supply filters / seals? There doesnt' seem to be as much places on the internet as car parts!! I have a ScotJCB in my local city, but that will be at JCB prices....... :insomnia:

I dare say that I'll have more questions in the coming weeks, but this is just to get me going in the mean time.
Thanks in advance!
Robin :dizzy:

agrimax

Re: JCB 3C2 newbie owner - stack of questions!

Post #2 by agrimax » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 am

Will answer some of your questions if not all.
1-You can use derv if you wish.Red diesel is the same thing only with a chemical marker and colourant added.(think it used to have more sulphur in it but thats all changed now.)
2 and 3-You may find the jack ram is leaking from the steel pipe that runs along the length of it.They corrode with age and a build up of dirt over the years. If it is the seals that are leaking,a complete kit should be available and isn't usually that expensive.Would recommend fitting the complete kit rather than just one or two seals.That job is as you have described although removing the end cap can be difficult/tight.
4-Personally,I would be removing the ram through the top rather than working below a raised machine to get it out from below.Put something below the foot,remove the top pin and pull the lever until the cylinder rises up enough to get a rope through the pin hole. Remove the lower pin and hoses off and with an assistant (or loader) pull the ram up out.
5-Either join the 2 jack hoses with a straight connector or don't move the lever and chain up the foot and jack sleeve.
6-Universal tractor engine oil (SUTO or UTTO) OR 15/40 will be fine.BMCs are not too fussy.
7-Glow plug or thermostart-Screw into manifold,fit fused power feed from a switch and T into the leak off pipes for a diesel supply to the plug.Or a simpler method is to fit a plastic bottle with a pipe from it to the plug,hung in the cab above the height of the plug and start a syphon through the pipe.Can be topped up every now and then when refuelling.
8-diggerparts.net should be able to sort you for anything JCB or indeed ebay.
Last edited by agrimax on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rocky_robin

Post #3 by rocky_robin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Many thanks for the reply.
I can get derv far easier than red, so that's good to hear. For all that I'd be using, it would be easier with derv.

I'll have a good look at the jack as soon as I get it. The farmer who I purchased it off of suggested picking up the rear with the back acter, but then again, he's not the one going under 6.5tonnes! I'll see if I can rig something up to manhandle it up. I've got nice thick sheet steel, welder, bolts and slitsons and scaffolding bars to help me with the end cap........as long as my vice doesn't break off the bench! :D

It's interesting that you say 15w/40. Can you use that in the hydraulic system too? Just to see about bulk buy oil.

The glow plug part is what I'm stuck with. How can you connect fuel to a glow plug when it's just an electrical connection (again me thinking about car engines). Is there a special type of glow plug out there that surrounds itself with diesel. A picture of the part attached to the inlet would speak a thousand words to me! :)

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 pm

http://www.asap-supplies.com/brands/perkins/thermostart-bonfire-heater-plug-for-perkins-4108

Not nececessarily the right one for you but you can see the fuel connection. Have you an inline or rotary fuel pump? I might be wrong but I am sure one of our old JCBs did not have a start heater.

TEZB

Post #5 by TEZB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Hello Robin,
I put a thermostart on my 3c a couple of week's ago, got it from diggerpart's on ebay. If you look on the inlet manifold there is already a tapped hole that should have pipe leading to it, however this tapped hole is not large enough to accept the thermostart so I had to drill it out a little larger and retap it with a 7/8 unf tap. I also bought a pipe to fit the thermostart off ebay (Massey Ferguson part) and plumbed it into one of the blanked off holes on the filter housing, although I had to saw one end off the pipe and connect it with a flexible fuel pipe to a male connecter to the filter housing.

Bodysnatcher

Post #6 by Bodysnatcher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Hello Robin,
Hope you got that digger from Ellon at a good price, its been for sale for ages. I thought about going to have a look at the beginning of December but decided it wasn't what I was looking for. Hope you get it sorted

agrimax

Post #7 by agrimax » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Rocky Robin, You will see the picture in the link that essexpete has posted.A valve opens inside the plug when the coil is energised,and allows a small amount of fuel through which ignites.The flame is then sucked in when the engine is cranked.
Nowadays there are a number of diggers that use a universal oil in the hydraulics(UTTO) but still a specified 10/40 or 15/40 or whatever, in the engine.(Think perhaps JCB JS range may be one lot but not sure).Your machine would probably work the best with 10/30 UTTO in both engine and hydraulics but 32 or 46 hydraulic oil would be the norm for the rams.I certainly threw in a drum or two of universal oil into my then 3c3 and the present 3cx occasionally gets a drum or red coloured 'bus' transmission oil when the neighbour brings it!! As long as the oil is clean and not too thick and has antifoam additives,they don't mind..

Topic author
rocky_robin

Post #8 by rocky_robin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 pm

AH! Gotcha. I never seen or heard of one of them before. Youtube sorted me out with some videos of them.
Any idea on the thread size on the inlet? I see on the internet that there a various ones, so it may save tapping. I presume that you have to fit a copper washer or something in between the plug and the manifold to prevent any air leaks?

Alistair, scrap value is so high that once I'm finished with it, I won't loose much! I required something to build my house extension. The machine just fit the bill. Are you local? Looking through this forum, I see that you've picked up a very old JCB. :)

I've finally tracked down a few places on-line that sell the tractor oil, which is great. Prices vary wildly on the type. I'll try a few places locally to see what they have first. :)

Thanks all! :claphands:

agrimax

Post #9 by agrimax » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 am

TBH I've only ever seen one thread size on the plug,which is as TEZB says-7/8 UNF.(could have sworn it was UNC )You will therefore need to drill and retap the hole.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”