Hydraulic leak in JCB 3C mk II

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Robertt

Hydraulic leak in JCB 3C mk II

Post #1 by Robertt » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Help please
My 1975 3C11 is leaking a lot of hydraulic oil from the overflow(?)pipe on the bottom of the king post, it usedto be the occasional drip now its almost a stream, I added a gallon of oil this morning, and it now needs another gallon, how do I fix it?
Also the steering seems to have taken a holiday, sometimes it work, others its very stiff, and others the steering wheel is for decoration only

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hydraulic leak in JCB 3C mk II

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi Robert and welcome to the site :wave: is there any chance that you could post a photo of the actual pipe that is leaking and its exact location as this helps forum members to give advice?

Jeremy

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by philwheelton » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:20 pm

I would say it's the over flow pipe from the slew gearbox and the slew seals are leaking, is it a plate with 4 bolts round it? If so new slew seals are needed,there should be gear oil in the base of the king post the bolt in the pipe is also a dip stick, as for the steering if the hyd oil is low the steering will stop working first.

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #4 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Thats not hydraulic oil. Thats lubrication oil for the actuator (slew). Mine usually only overflows when it gets full of water or I over fill it with oil.

Your steering pump isn't getting enough hydraulic oil. Clean out the steering pump strainer. Its inside a cuboid shaped filter housing in front of the radiator. Its metal in material so no need to replace it just clean it and your steering should be fine.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
Robertt

Post #5 by Robertt » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:40 pm

As requested I have attached a photo of the offending bit,
I suspect Phil is right, as when i took one of the ram covers off I got a bucket full of mainly hydraulic oil
Also Tully - Thanks it has been steering erratically,sometimes easy sometimes stiff (or maybe I forgot the weetabix), sounds like a dirty filter so will try that.
To say its nearly 40 years old it has performed brilliantly, apart from the above, I bought it to dig a 60 x 40 foot hole upto 7 feet deep at one end for a big shed,after I was quoted 5k, so saved money and had a great time, Now, if I can just get the last 10% dug, I can get the sehd built, then Have somewhere dry to work on it properly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

philwheelton

Post #6 by philwheelton » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:17 pm

you need to remove the slew pots and replace the seals don't forget to fill the slew box back up with HD90 gear oil when you put it back together!

svkenn

Post #7 by svkenn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:53 am

hi all, i have the same problem with a mk11. but not able to track down any seal kits, tryed digger parts and a few places on ebay but no luck. easy job to do. so anybody knows where they can be located? cheers

Topic author
Robertt

Post #8 by Robertt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:43 pm

I've also found the same problem, no one seems to think they stock the seals Does anyone have a proper part number as I suspect there will be a new equivalent available if it can be traced

Mark.Rive

Post #9 by Mark.Rive » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:46 pm

I've uploaded this before, but here you go. All you will ever need to know about JCB MKII & III ram seal part numbers. Good hunting Mark :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Robertt

Post #10 by Robertt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Jakespare Codecote has got some, I've ordered a pair for about £36 including postage, will update when they arrive. All he needed to know was whether it was a 4.5 inch or 5 inch ram - apparently size does matter!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”