3cx wiring tidy up questions

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
McSpud
Flag: Ireland

3cx wiring tidy up questions

Post #1 by McSpud » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi guys,
I'm tidying up the wiring on an '89 3cx and I've some questions about what buttons do what.

1. whats the yellow button for on the end of the forward / reverse stick?
2. whats the black rubber capped button for under that same stick?

Another thing, the tacho isn't working, the cable is dangling down behind the engine...
But I can't find anywhere online that sells these tacho cables, can't even find mention of them!

I also have no idea where it goes on the engine, I thought it would be somewere around the lift pump, but definately not there.. it's a Perkins engine BTW....
Can any of you guys help?
Thanks!
S

mosta

Re: 3cx wiring tidy up questions

Post #2 by mosta » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi, The yellow button is for the horn, the black button is a test button for the dash warning lights. I'm not sure about the tacho cable, i didn't think there was a cable in them. I will have a look at mine when i get home.

Topic author
McSpud

Post #3 by McSpud » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Thats brilliant!! I was wondering what those buttons were, one had to be the horn, but couldn't figure which.

There's definately a cable coming from the back of the clock, but whoever had this before me left it tied up in the engine bay as it broke off and kinda ravelled back.... But I can't find one online for love nor money....

Topic author
McSpud

Post #4 by McSpud » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Hey guys,
Another thing I notice is that on the RHS steering column stalk, there something going on that I think is odd... With the lights on, the action to flip between dips/full beams is working, but the blue light on the dash seems to be coming on for dips instead of full beam, and also, the upward position (momentary) activates the windscreen washer!! I would have thought that position was for flashing the main beams, and the button at the end of the stalk for the window washer?
Can someone tell me if I'm right or wrong?
I've no owners manual, and the printing is worn from all the knobs, so I can't figure it out...
Thanks
S

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by philwheelton » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 pm

By 89 the rev counter was powered by the alternator so there should not be a cable to drive it!..

Topic author
McSpud

Post #6 by McSpud » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm baffled by that?? There's definitely a cable to the back of the clock,
But I can't find where it's supposed to go.

I've all the 'big' electrical things working now, it's just that and the few small things
I mentioned above left now, hopefully with you guys help I'll get thru it
Cheers
S

le.maisonniau
Flag: France

Re: 3cx wiring tidy up questions - similarities

Post #7 by le.maisonniau » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi,
I am in the middle of a similar job, though i have a few other issues as well. My m/c is a 1985 3CX sitemaster, I have found that the electrics will play up something incredible and produce lots of unexplained results, generally from bad earths, I currently have LHS flashers flash on the stalk as norm, RHS rear only flash and LHS & RHS flash on the 4-way button, but also the RHS on the dash - bizare, but I traced it to a bad earth on RHS front flasher.
I also have a cable for the tacho that hangs about near the floor in the cab and also have no idea where it comes from.
I also have a horn button that doesnt work, taking the F&R switch apart showed that the cables had been snipped off in the past!!
I am desperately trying to get hold of a fuel sender for my model (290000-400000 series) - if any one can point me in the right direction I would be greatful.
Cheers
John (retired in France)
When you come to a fork in the road - take it :dizzy:

Topic author
McSpud

Post #8 by McSpud » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi John,
maybe between the two of us we can sort out both our issues! I have the dashboard lifted on mine so I can get wiring colors etc for you, if it helps.

The tacho cable is also broken in mine, and I can't find a spurious part replacement, the JCB branded ones are too expensive... but the other end goes into a little socket on the very front of the engine, just beside the alternator.
That horn button that doesn;t work had me fooled too, its not a horn button, but a button to test the dash warning lights, the horn button is on the end of the F/R stalk.

My issue is that heads / dips work normally, but the blue heads light on the dash comes on for dips, not heads, and also the momentary upwards action on the stalk to flash the heads doesn't work, the dips just stay on. I'd love to fix that issue, but I think the stalk is wired wrong into its connectors. I can't find a pinout drawing of it anywhere online.
Hope some of that helps John!
S

Mark.Rive

Re: 3cx wiring tidy up questions - similarities

Post #9 by Mark.Rive » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:41 pm

le.maisonniau wrote:Hi,
I am in the middle of a similar job, though i have a few other issues as well. My m/c is a 1985 3CX sitemaster, I have found that the electrics will play up something incredible and produce lots of unexplained results, generally from bad earths, I currently have LHS flashers flash on the stalk as norm, RHS rear only flash and LHS & RHS flash on the 4-way button, but also the RHS on the dash - bizare, but I traced it to a bad earth on RHS front flasher.
I also have a cable for the tacho that hangs about near the floor in the cab and also have no idea where it comes from.
I also have a horn button that doesnt work, taking the F&R switch apart showed that the cables had been snipped off in the past!!
I am desperately trying to get hold of a fuel sender for my model (290000-400000 series) - if any one can point me in the right direction I would be greatful.
Cheers
John (retired in France)

Hi John,
Good to see you're going in the right direction :thumbup: With regard to your fuel sender here's the info i have.
Up to serial number 310999 Fuel sender P/no is 730/0001.
then superceded to 716/06200, then 716/09700.
Machines 337001 through 4000000 its 716/12400.
I'm not sure if this part number supercedes right the way through and back fits all machines or if it is serial number dependant, sorry :( Gasket should come in the box, if not its number is 103/77101.
good luck. Mark

Mark.Rive

Post #10 by Mark.Rive » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Okay guys' here's wiring diagram and component list for machines 294971 thru 310999. If this is not your machine let me know and I'll post up the correct one for you :thumbup: Cheers Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”