3CX King post

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
GTSX

3CX King post

Post #1 by GTSX » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:21 am

Hi,
Although I've worked on all kinds of stuff in the past I'm new to JCB's. I bought the machine a few years ago over the net with a view to useing it for work but when it turned up it was a dog then 2 hours in to the job the king pin sheared. I got no reponse from the guy I bought it off and since then I've been suffering with depression. I'm a bit better now so it's time to have a look at sorting this machine out.

1981 3CX
The king post has sheared so there's no slew. There's excessive wear in the king pin eyes too. I've consisdered buying a new saddle, pin and bushes but is there someone or somewhere that I could perhaps get the saddle and the post assembly reworked/refurbished to save my costs?
I may need a similar service for the front axle as the eye for the steering king pins are bad too.
Where can I get cheap hydraulic hoses?
Can you get the rams rechromed or is it cheaper/better to get replacements and where from?
Hand brake doesn't work but I will have to strip it downfirst to see what the problem is.

Thanks in advance

diggerjones
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 3CX King post

Post #2 by diggerjones » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:24 pm

sounds like you have found why you have suffered from depression, sorry cant help it sounds like it is at the end of is hard life. perhaps you should cut your losses and buy a gas axe.

Mark.Rive

Post #3 by Mark.Rive » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:40 pm

GTSX wrote:Hi,
Although I've worked on all kinds of stuff in the past I'm new to JCB's. I bought the machine a few years ago over the net with a view to useing it for work but when it turned up it was a dog then 2 hours in to the job the king pin sheared. I got no reponse from the guy I bought it off and since then I've been suffering with depression. I'm a bit better now so it's time to have a look at sorting this machine out.

1981 3CX
The king post has sheared so there's no slew. There's excessive wear in the king pin eyes too. I've consisdered buying a new saddle, pin and bushes but is there someone or somewhere that I could perhaps get the saddle and the post assembly reworked/refurbished to save my costs?
I may need a similar service for the front axle as the eye for the steering king pins are bad too.
Where can I get cheap hydraulic hoses?
Can you get the rams rechromed or is it cheaper/better to get replacements and where from?
Hand brake doesn't work but I will have to strip it downfirst to see what the problem is.

Thanks in advance

Hi Ian,
Welcome along, here you will find lots of help and encouragement, there is often new/refurbed king carriages/post on e-bay. I know you may not want to buy from there again, but if you watch long enough one will come up, give the guy a call and sound him out. the same with the steering pins. There may even be someone on the forum who can help. There are also breakers like Vicary plant, the digger doctor & rusty parts. I have not used them (yet) but people here have. I think this is the link for the workshop manual for your machine JCB 3CX, 4CX, 214, 215, 217 Workshop Manual
If its not the correct one let me know, it may be in the downloads section where you can look, but if not I have it here and will zip you a copy via e-mail. As for hose's you will have to shop around, google is a wonderful thing :thumbup: I'm sure someone else will be along shortly that can help even more. :thumbup: Cheers for now Mark

Julian

Post #4 by Julian » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:49 pm

As always, caveat emptor with ebay :(

I can't help but I do remember reading on this forum a few years ago some very detailed information concerning repairs on the king post. I suggest that you sit yourself down with a cup of tea or coffee and start trawling through previous posts with the search facility!

Julian.

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Stormin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Julian wrote:As always, caveat emptor with ebay :(

I can't help but I do remember reading on this forum a few years ago some very detailed information concerning repairs on the king post. I suggest that you sit yourself down with a cup of tea or coffee and start trawling through previous posts with the search facility!

Julian.

Here's the thread save you the trouble of the search. :thumbup:

Definitive 3CX King Pin repair guide

Topic author
GTSX

Post #6 by GTSX » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi
Thanks for the info. I had a read through the old thread. I can't download the workshop manual at present but I will try again later.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”