First JCB - JCB 2D mark 11

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Alan7264

First JCB - JCB 2D mark 11

Post #1 by Alan7264 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Hello all

Been reading here for a while and must say thanks to all for the good info and especially to those who have taken the trouble to upload manuals to the download section.

Just bought my first JCB, a 2D mark II. (1980 on the log book)

I will post some pictures when I get round to taking some.

Machine seems in good condition, good starter, strong hydraulics and only one or two very small leaks.

I would like to trace some history and any other useful information if anyone can help?

The numbers stamped on the front left chassis rail are as follows.....

2DII 119641 / 3
SK1 / 004925
4/98 NT/2002/69881

Was originally from Bolton with Norweb and then to Wales, now resides in Essex with me.

Also can anyone tell me if the buckets have the same confiruration accross the range? i.e. 3C, 3CX, 2D etc.

Lastly, do you ever see any 4 in 1 front buckets for these machines?

Thanks in anticipation for any advice or help.

regards
Alan

essexpete

Re: First JCB - JCB 2D mark 11

Post #2 by essexpete » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Sounds like you have one of the last ones there. What type of transmission fitted?
The 4/98NT is the engine type: Leyland 98 series derived from the earlier BMC engines. They were also fitted in some trucks and Leyland/Marshall tractors.
With regard to the 4 in 1 obviously it would be necessary to fit a third spool valve and all the pipe work. If the 2 was similar to the 3C, then when a 4in1 was fitted the two function lever was replaced with three side by side. An older MK11 3C that we had years ago did have the standard JCB cross type main lever with the 3rd service on a separate lever. It was a bit of a pig to use effectively with one hand.
The 3C and 3CX had same bucket fittings and I would guess yours would as well.

newjcb123uk

Post #3 by newjcb123uk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi Alan and a big welcome to CMN - Congratulations on your purchase of a piece of Rocesters finests in the form of a JCB 2D mk11.

I have bought and sold a few over the years and have a lovely one tucked away at the back of the yard as part of my ever growing collection. (see pic)

Your JCB is more likely to be cira 1974 rather than anything much later but a bit of research into the serial number would give a more acccurate date for you.

Thankfully all JCB buckets past and present will fit your machine - sometimes a couple of "top hat" bushings are required for well worn buckets and sort out any looseness.

What are you planning on doing with your JCB are you going to refurbish it or use it for anything in particular?

We would love to see some pics of your machine here so feel free to upload :thumbup:

Cheers Chris :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

Topic author
Alan7264

Post #4 by Alan7264 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks for the reply's to Chris and Pete and the welcome.

The "/3" in the first part of the numbers aparently means it has a torque converter which indeed it has.

Standard size buckets should make sourcing another one a bit simpler, it has three already so a good selection but I want another to canibalise to make a ripper to dig roots.

Although the log book says 1980, I guessed it would be somewhat earlier than that.

Mine has the one lver for the bucket and would probably just stick with the standard bucket unless something apeared to enable me to fit a 4 in 1 (not holding my breath though)

It will be used to clear some land and other work on a build. Once its main uses are done I do fancy having a go at some sort of restoration but I anticipate that being a few years of yet.

Chris - mine has a red and black seat the same as the one in the first pic but slightly less of it left than yours!

Will definately put some pics up when I get a chance.

Another question if I may, when sitting facing the excavator controls, there is on the right hand side what I can only describe as a sort of foot pedal that is attached to a shaft that runs left to right below the controls. Mine is seized solid, any ideas what its for?

thanks
Alan

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Martyn Henley » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi Alan and welcome to CMN :thumbup:
I had a few good years operating a 2Dmk2 back in the early 80's ..happy days

Now your pedal is to release the whole backhoe to make it just a shovel, it is also fitted with a PTO, so without the backhoe on there you will have access to the PTO....
As Pete said the later mk2's had a 3 lever system on there for a 6in1, but as far as i know JCB never had 6in1's fitted to 2D's .. the front bucket is smaller than the 3Cmk2's as well..
As for the age, it could be possible for your machine to be a 1980 registered ... they did make the 2D up until 1979 so i believe.

Hope this helps a bit more and look forward to seeing some pictures

Martyn

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:42 pm

We had a 3/4 size Drott RO 4in1 fiited on our long arm 3C, that would have been good for the 2. I think to find a decent 4in1 you would have to source a non JCB and adapt it. A lot of the tractair types used by the road gangs probably would not be wide enough.

Martyn I had not realised that the 2D was a drop off hoe, I had thought that was the 2B.

Steelfab

Post #7 by Steelfab » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:31 pm

I have the orginal sales ledgers for all the JCB's ever sold so if I get a chance tomorrow I will look up your seial number and confirm exactly who it was sold to and when

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by Martyn Henley » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:52 pm

essexpete, yes i believe they were, the one i operated was a 1972, and it was just over a year old when i had her, i can remember the rear frame had a slight movement in it when digging. Never took the backhoe off though.

Martyn

Topic author
Alan7264

Post #9 by Alan7264 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks for everones replies, will try and do some pics now....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Alan7264

Post #10 by Alan7264 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Think I will try that again....

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”