JCB 2DS

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
perdixrouge

JCB 2DS

Post #1 by perdixrouge » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Just become the proud owner of what appears to be a rare beast. I have seen the odd 2D, but never an S derivitive. To the best of my (limited) knowledge, the 2D was a 3 cyl power unit, in keeping with the machines reduced (from 3C) size. My 2DS has the 4 cyl Leyland lump, but retains the small size overall. not had time yet to find serial/engine numbers etc, but if there is any info out there in any way connected with the 2DS, especially its differences to th 2D, I would be pleased to hear. (Brochure copies etc?)
My intention was to break the old girl for parts, but having driven her for a few minutes, she is in better condition than the seller thought, although the backhoe has all the usual wear failings of an abused 40 year old, and is no longer detachable from the tractor, thanks to an enthusiastic welder some time back! (Not irreversible though by the look of it)
Do JCB Ltd have an Archive/history department for such machines, and if so, has anyone had worthwhile results from them?
If anyone is interested, I will post further info I might find, and also try to post some pics. (No promises on that though - I can understand the mechanics of a 3c3, but the operations of a keyboard usually fox me!)

usedjcbdave
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 2DS

Post #2 by usedjcbdave » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Peter-I believe the JCB 2B machines had the 3 cylinder engine and the 2D carried the 4 cylinder.Your machine obviously started life as a JCB 2DS (S standing for shovel with counterweight fitted) and had the backhoe added (and welded!)some time after.
Await your pictures !!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

newjcb123uk

Post #3 by newjcb123uk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:02 pm

A nice model example of a 2D Our Mr Henley made me in 1:35th scale ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

Topic author
perdixrouge

Post #4 by perdixrouge » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:57 pm

David, Christopher, excellent - thats the beast, sure enough. 2DS11 is what mine says on the tin. My backhoe has the 'quick' release pedal on a crossbar where the operators right foot would be, although its rusted solid in its pins, but the upper (presumably pin) holes are empty, and a line of weld has been run down each face to fix it in. I take it the counterweight on the brochure example was also designed for quick release. Any indication of production years on the brochure? or any specs?
Thanks both of you.
Peter

Steelfab

Post #5 by Steelfab » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:05 am

Coincidentally tonight I have been sorting out a big box of old brochures which my colleagues in JCB Australia sent me and in amoungst the hundreds of brochures is the 2DS the same as David posted above.

I have also recently plotted the history of all the Backhoe Loaders and according to my information the 2B and 2BS were introduced in 1964 initially with a Fordson engine and later that year changed to the Leyland 3 cylinder, 45hp. The 2D superseeded it in 1970/1 and was fitted with the Leyland 4 clylinder engine giving 70hp.

Also, I have all the sales ledgers of JCB machines going back to 1965 so when you find the serial number let me know and I can let you know the day it was built and which dealer is was sold to and in some cases even the price.

If you want any other brochures of machines let me know which model

XS650

Post #6 by XS650 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:57 am

Recently posted elsewhere, always thought the 2D looked a usefull machine same power as 3C with less weight and bulk.
scan0010Picture1.jpg
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
perdixrouge

Post #7 by perdixrouge » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Julian, dug out the serial numbers from under a garden of moss today! They are - S/N 2DS59302; Tractor Number 384B154457. The engine is the Leyland 38TD I think, but thats in need of more cleaning to be sure. There is an old Reg. plate in the cab, NWY318K, which IF it belongs to this JCB, puts it around 1971 as you say.
Interesting pic of the machine at work Craig - looks a little better than my old girl does!

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #8 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Its a small world Perdixrouge. Im the guy that sent you the text message yesterday about your 3D with the 4 in 1. Im still kicking myself about that one that got away. Let me know of anything else like that comes up for sale.

Incidentally, I should have had a 2d as part of my clan. Shook hands on one in Ardboe County Tyrone for £500 only to run over him with the front wheel. After making sure he was okay I thought it best to leave.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Neversweat

Post #9 by Neversweat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:14 pm

TullyveeryClassicJCB wrote:Incidentally, I should have had a 2d as part of my clan. Shook hands on one in Ardboe County Tyrone for £500 only to run over him with the front wheel. After making sure he was okay I thought it best to leave.

Pure Class :D :D :D :D :D - :bow:

Steve :thumbup:

Topic author
perdixrouge

Post #10 by perdixrouge » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:39 pm

:claphands: Now I've stopped laughing and got my breath back, it occurs to me that I may have been tempted to back up and finish him off, then make off with the 2D as the getaway vehicle, thus saving £500!!
Wish I had sold her to you now - totally wasted where she's gone anyhow. Guy has 2 acres of overgrown garden to tidy up, had no concept of what he was buying, never driven anything but a car in his life, doesn't even own a grease gun, and the sight of all those levers just blew him away. ( :doh: hope he's not reading this!!) My guess is either back on ebay within a month, or left to rot in a corner. I was still in the lorry on my way home from dropping her off when you texted!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”