whitlock 105

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

IBH

Re: whitlock 105

Post #31 by IBH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Its about time somebody wrote a book about Hymac and Whitlock IMHO, i'd have a go but I don't know how to do it, don't have enough supporting material or good enough English :dizzy:

As for Whitlock, there seems to be very little information about them freely available.
My prized possession , the 'Olyslager Auto Library' 'Earthmoving Vehicles' book from 1972, features Whitlock.
In addition to the well known backhoe loaders, they started building wheel loaders after buying Merton Engineering Company in 1968.
According to the book Whitlock entered into an agreement with Fuchs, allowing Whitlock to manufacture and market in the UK and elswhere certain Fuchs products.
They definitely offered the Deutz powered Whitlock-Fuchs 50R, also later with the option of Ford or Perkins engines.
There's a photo of a DD105 Dinkum Dumper too.
If I can scan them without damaged the book i'll upload the images later.

DaveS

Post #32 by DaveS » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:50 pm

I've got that book too - excellent stuff in it!

Nynehead Publications were going to reprint it about 10 years ago, as they have done with Olyslager's truck books, but said that they didn't think the market for plant books was big enough to make it worthwhile!

Dave.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #33 by XS650 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:06 pm

Book on Whitlock-Second that ,the only informative articles on Whitlock I have found are in the old Vintage Tractor mags produced by Alan T Condie. There are some good articles on Whitlock by Michael J Irwin who wrote the excellent JCB history books also published by Condie.
Mr Condie seems to possess a goldmine of info on old tractors and plant and has published many tractor books .Following the publication of his Fordson Major E1A Diesel book quite a while ago , a book on the industrial conversions (Whitlock, Muir-Hill , Bray , Chaseside to name a few) was promised but unfortunately has never been published -yet.
Would there be a big enough market for a Whitlock book though ?
The Oyslager ‘Earthmoving Vehicles’ is a prized possession of mine too and was the first book I ever found on the subject . It still hasn’t been beat for the amount of different (especially British) gear featured.
He's a Whitlock Dinkum Digger at work.
GM00060-01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

DaveS

Post #34 by DaveS » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Alan Condie also did "Fifty Fordson's for all seasons" which had some Whitlock stuff IIRC, and he had, as you say, articles in his Vintage Tractor mag which used Whitlock's publicity photos of the time.

Must dig them out .......................

I've got a very nice Whitlock backhoe brochure - in Dutch!!! :dizzy:

Dave.

XS650

Post #35 by XS650 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:12 pm

I've got a 1963 JCB 3 brochure in Dutch ! :D and Whitlock ones in French and German. Whitlocks still seem to come up for sale regularly on German websites so guess they flogged a lot there.

DaveS

Post #36 by DaveS » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Correction to my last post :oops: it's called "SEVENTY Fordsons for all seasons" (Maybe it's grown since I last looked?) and it doesn't actually have Whitlock in it, but it does have Chaeside, Muir-Hill, Bray, Roadless, County and Doe!

As an asside, Condie also did the "Muir-Hill album" with lots of excellent pics of that company's industrial stuff in it.

Even Stuart Gibbards's superb "Ford Tractor Conversions" has next to nothing about Whitlock!

Dave.

IBH

Post #37 by IBH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:52 pm

As promised here are two of the three machines I mentioned, I couldn't scan the book as it was going to cause serious damage (my copy is ex-library/fragile), so I tried taking photos with my camera instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martyn Henley

Post #38 by Martyn Henley » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:07 pm

I've got a 1963 advert for a JCB articulated dumptruck similar to the Whitlock one ,but did they ever make it ?

Indeed Craig they made just one in 1959 .. it was numbered JCB 6D Hydra dumper
jcb6dumper.jpg

It was a 4 wheel drive articulated dumptruck, as far as i know only one was ever made, and it never went into production .. it was dumped due to lack of intrest .. ugly looking thing

Martyn

XS650

Post #39 by XS650 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:24 pm

As an asside, Condie also did the "Muir-Hill album" with lots of excellent pics of that company's industrial stuff in it.

Even Stuart Gibbards's superb "Ford Tractor Conversions" has next to nothing about Whitlock!

Been looking for Condies Muir-Hill album for long while so if anyones got a spare copy they want to sell.
David-Yes I found it odd that Stuart Gibbards book didn't feature Whitlock or JCB both massive users of Fordson E1As.

Martyn -Interesting info on JCB 6D ,was it 4x4 ? I'll scan the ad and post it later.

Gavin Phillips

Post #40 by Gavin Phillips » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:24 pm

Martyn Henley wrote:
I've got a 1963 advert for a JCB articulated dumptruck similar to the Whitlock one ,but did they ever make it ?

Indeed Craig they made just one in 1959 .. it was numbered JCB 6D Hydra dumper
jcb6dumper.jpg

It was a 4 wheel drive articulated dumptruck, as far as i know only one was ever made, and it never went into production .. it was dumped due to lack of intrest .. ugly looking thing

Martyn

Ugly indeed, but bearing an uncanny resemblence to a scraper, indeed Allis-Chalmers and a few other companies (Euclid and Letourneau) built similar looking dumpers from the overall design of a scraper. This was before the now familiar form of the ADT came into being.

The first ADT I'm aware of that JCB attempted was the 12ton 712, a 4x4 machine from the early 1980's. I've seen a couple of those but after a short while it died a death as well. Only for the project to be revived years down the line with the 714. Certainly a new chapter in JCB's history!

I was just thinking about the Whitlock 105 with the "greenhouse cab", I'm guessing ROPs was unheard of in those days! Good visibility if nothing else!
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”