3CX Grey cab New owner questions

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Anton_Chigurh
Flag: Guam

3CX Grey cab New owner questions

Post #1 by Anton_Chigurh » Mon May 22, 2023 2:39 pm

Hi all, new to JCB ownership and there are a few things I want to ask you guys. Pardon my ignorance. First off , the machine is a 1989 grey cab site master. It is in relatively good condition but like anything of this age there are small things I want to sort. First off I have a leaking hose to my front shovel & also a leaking ram on the right side of the shovel. See attached photo. Can someone tell me what hose I require for this? Is there a seal kit for the ram? Secondly, I am wondering if I should change the hydraulic oil when I am at it? Its brown and doesn’t look to be in great condition, I don’t know when it was last changed. Is it worth doing? What spec do I need , volume and is there a step by step anyone can point me to? Am I correct there are 2 filters? One close to the engine & another on the front offside ? Is it also worth changing the diesel filter? Finally my fuel gauge isn’t working. Is this a simple fix? Many thanks in advance.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: 3CX Grey cab New owner questions

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon May 22, 2023 9:01 pm

Hi Mark and welcome :wave: I don't know what kind of hydraulic hose suppliers you have in your part of the world but any decent hose supplier should be able to make a new hose up for you, there would definitely be a seal kit available for the ram, perhaps an internet search would pay dividends? Before you go to the trouble of changing the hydraulic oil get any other ropey looking hoses changed, you don't want to waste your money on good hydraulic oil only to have it pour out through a blow hose.
There are many JCB fans and enthusiasts here who will be able to point you in the right direction with any questions. :thumbup:

Jeremy

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: 3CX Grey cab New owner questions

Post #3 by gecko.cx » Tue May 23, 2023 7:13 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Before you go to the trouble of changing the hydraulic oil get any other ropey looking hoses changed, you don't want to waste your money on good hydraulic oil only to have it pour out through a blow hose.

That happen to me - 3 days after changing the oil. I was not happy.

For a warm climate, an ISO46 oil would suit. Each brand uses different prefix letters to indicate additional additives (maybe HV or similar) for anti-foaming and anti-wear that are worth having. Don't buy the cheapest, it'll be in there a long time!

Do you use a VPN? If so, you can get into https://parts.jcb.com - you enter your serial and see the parts available at the time (not specifically what is in your machine).
Once you have a part number, you can chase a supplier.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”