how to change trans oil - 1400B 1986

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
ekmoor
Flag: United States of America

how to change trans oil - 1400B 1986

Post #1 by ekmoor » Tue May 09, 2023 3:24 pm

New to me machine and during the purchase process, the trans would not engage. The PO added a quart of Ford F, no improvement, then followed by 2 quarts of Dextron III in attempt to get it moving. I was in the other camp of its an electrical issue. As he went to find more ATF, I jumped out the shifter solenoid and it all works. Still tracking down the short in the shifter but onto the real question.
Drained the oil by removing the strainer and only 2 gallons came out. It was not low on fluid. Changed the filter and refilled w Ford F and it reads on the dipstick when cold.
My book tells me there is 5 gallons of trans fluid. The fluid that came out was clean but how do I get all the mixed trans fluid out of my unit? The PO said he only used Ford F until he put in the 2 qts of Dextron. The PO was not a mechanical guy so trying to straighten the machine out.
Thanks for any help.

Topic author
ekmoor

Re: how to change trans oil - 1400B 1986

Post #2 by ekmoor » Tue May 09, 2023 3:26 pm

BTW....i have a similar vintage 1700B (10 years now) and it has been a great reliable machine so picked up another one for a second use location. Just need to straighten out the lack of maintenance.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by agrimax » Tue May 09, 2023 7:06 pm

Wouldn't worry about changing the oil because it's mixed as they're both pretty much the same thing,just that one was originally from Ford and the other from General Motors.
Assuming that as it has the electric shuttle shift,as you mention the shifter solenoid, so it'll have to have the JCB Synchroshuttle transmission(which makes it an '87 machine) and thus it has one self contained unit(Torque converter and gearbox). From completely emply it should contain 15.5 litres. (Quarts,US gallons and imperial gallons get confusing to those of us of a certain age....)
If you do want to drain it all,it'll be drain plug out of the transmission housing or take the suction filter out(not the screw on filter on the side) and you'll need to remove the rubber grommet from the rear of the TC housing and turn the TC till a plug appears on it's back side and remove it to drain. I think the oil cooler will drain back through these opened orifices too. Then refill,start and run for a time,then stop engine and dip oil.
Last edited by agrimax on Tue May 09, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
ekmoor

Post #4 by ekmoor » Tue May 09, 2023 7:45 pm

Perfect....just have a case of Ford F left over. So Dexron and Ford F are interchangeable? Discovered, the transmission output shaft seal is leaking so any incline, produces a nice drippage of ATF. That sounds like a painful task to replace.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”