JCB 1400B won't go into gear

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Rifleman9710
Flag: United States of America

Re: JCB 1400B won't go into gear

Post #11 by Rifleman9710 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:21 pm

essexpete wrote:Is that an electric shuttle or manual lever shuttle?

It has the electric shuttle shifter on the steering column.

Topic author
Rifleman9710

Post #12 by Rifleman9710 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:35 pm

agrimax wrote:That'll be known to us in the UK as a project 7 grey cab with Synchro shuttle and electric f/r.
If the box is in neutral,there would be no wheel movement at all when the shuttle lever is engaged. The shuttle part of the transmission has a torque converter rather than being hydrostatic. Have you dipped the oil level in the transmission? (Perhaps you already know or maybe not but the tranny oil is totally seperate from the hydraulic oil in these,and uses an automatic transmission fluid(ATF).

I knew this had a torque converter but was told it was hydrostatic from the old guy who sold it to me, so I never put 2 and 2 together. I assumed the hydraulic fluid and the transmission fluid were the same. Now that I know this I will check the transmission fluid when it is warm correct? If it is low on fluid that could explain why it moves very sluggishly but then it must be stuck in a gear because the 4 speed shifter still moves in all directions with no positive engagement felt.

Topic author
Rifleman9710

Post #13 by Rifleman9710 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:02 pm

Update,
I finally found the time to look into this a little further. I found that the top cover where the shifting linkage goes into the gearbox had 3 of the 4 bolts only finger tight. This must have allowed the shift linkage to pop up out. I found that it was stuck half way into 3rd gear. After putting the gear box into neutral and putting the linkage back in place and tightening the cover back down it shifts in and out of all 4 gears as it should. I was able to do a little work with it around the house yesterday. Now to get the hydraulic fluid leak in the main block for the hoe fixed and she should be right as rain.

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #14 by gecko.cx » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:30 pm

Ooooh - good save.
Two gears at once isn't a great idea!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”