service my JCB 3CX number No. 343566/P,

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
leloupsblanc
Flag: France

service my JCB 3CX number No. 343566/P,

Post #1 by leloupsblanc » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I would like to service my JCB 3CX number No. 343566/P, but I cannot find the correct user manual and I do not know the type of engine fitted to it
I would like to do an engine oil change and replace the coolant.
I don't know what grade of oil to use.
I don't know the procedure for bleeding the cooling circuit because I have a leak at the level of the transmission oil cooler / exchanger, which forces me to drain the cooling circuit.
I can send you pictures if needed.
Thank you for your answers.
Sorry if what I write is not very correct I am French and I use google translation.

Bonjour à tous,

J'aimerais faire l'entretien de mon JCB 3CX numéro No. 343566/P, mais je n'arrive pas à trouver le bon manuel utilisateur et je ne connais pas le type de moteur qui l'équipe.
J'aimerais lui faire une vidange huile moteur et remplacer le liquide de refroidissement.
Je ne connais pas le grade d'huile à utiliser.
Je ne connais pas la procédure pour purger le circuit de refroidissement car j'ai une fuite au niveau du refroidisseur / échangeur de l'huile de transmission se qui m'oblige à faire la vidange du circuit de refroidissement.
Je peux vous mettre des photos si nécessaire.
Merci pour vos réponse.
Désoler si ce que j'écris n'est pas très correct je suis Français et j'utilise google traduction.

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: service my JCB 3CX number No. 343566/P,

Post #2 by gecko.cx » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:03 pm

This looks to be your manual
JCB 3CX/4CX Backhoe Loader workshop manual

Looks like the engine is a Leyland 4/98

It is an 'old school' diesel, so a quality 10w/30 or 15w/40 oil will be perfect.

The manual says nothing special for draining (remove bottom hose from radiator and drain plug from block) or about filling (reassemble and fill).
The coolant you want is the old style 'green' glycol at either 33% or 50% depending on your temp range (personally I don't bother with less than 50%).

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by agrimax » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:45 pm

Your serial number relates to a 3CX with grey cab(colour of the cab frame) from 1988-1991. The engine should be a Perkins 1004 (-4T if it's turboed). The 'P' at the end of the number denotes Perkins. 15W/40 is the prefered choice of engine oil. There's no particular bleeding procedure for the coolant other than fill it up,run it and top up if necessary as you go. Old school blue or green ethylene glycol antifreeze,as Gecko says,is what you want.

gecko.cx

Post #4 by gecko.cx » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:33 am

agrimax wrote: The engine should be a Perkins 1004 (-4T if it's turboed).

Cheers.
Do you know when the engine changed from Leland to Perkins?
The manual I linked above (from the downloads section) is shown as covering serials: 290000 - 400000
Sorry - I missed that the manual covers both the Leland 4/98 and Perkins 4.236 engines (it's too early for a 1000 series isn't it?)

Topic author
leloupsblanc

Post #5 by leloupsblanc » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:14 am

Thank you all for your quick and efficient responses.
I put photos of the engine compartment as well as the engine identification plate to confirm the type of engine.
I have a question about a filler cap that I don't know what it is. Circle in red on the photo.
I do not find exactly the same type of configuration of the engine annexes on the technical documentation that you advise me. Any idea if this is the right one?
The previous owner told me but I'm not sure that he had put 5W30. I confirm that it is indeed a turbocharged engine.
For the antifreeze I have concentrated Motorex: coolant M3.0 to dilute. Is it good for my JCB?
At what level should I stop filling the coolant? I have to fill from the expansion tank on the right in the photo?

Merci à tous pour vos réponses plus que rapide et efficace.
Je met des photos du compartiment moteur ainsi que la plaque d'identification du moteur afin de me confirmer le type de moteur.
J'ai une question sur un bouchon de remplissage que je ne sais pas a quoi il correspond. Entourer en rouge sur la photo.
Je ne trouve pas exactement le même type de configuration des annexes moteur sur la documentation technique que vous me conseillez. Une idée si c'est la bonne ?
Le propriétaire d'avant ma dit mais je ne suis pas sûr de moi qu'il avait mis de la 5W30. Je confirme que c'est bien un moteur avec turbo.
Pour l'antigel j'ai du Motorex concentré : coolant M3.0 à diluer. Est-il bon pour mon JCB ?
A quelle niveau je doit m’arrêter de remplir le liquide de refroidissement ? je dois remplir depuis le vase d'expansion à droite sur la photo ?

Topic author
leloupsblanc

Post #6 by leloupsblanc » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:15 am

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:44 am

gecko.cx wrote:
agrimax wrote: The engine should be a Perkins 1004 (-4T if it's turboed).

Cheers.
Do you know when the engine changed from Leland to Perkins?
The manual I linked above (from the downloads section) is shown as covering serials: 290000 - 400000
Sorry - I missed that the manual covers both the Leland 4/98 and Perkins 4.236 engines (it's too early for a 1000 series isn't it?)

The Perkins engine was adopted not that long into the first white cab incarnation. I am guessing due to variable supplies, and soon to be, end of the British Leyland (ex BMC) engine plant.

gecko.cx

Post #8 by gecko.cx » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:23 pm

essexpete wrote:The Perkins engine was adopted not that long into the first white cab incarnation. I am guessing due to variable supplies, and soon to be, end of the British Leyland (ex BMC) engine plant.

A good call, I'd say!
The 4.236 couldn't have been used for long?

gecko.cx wrote: (it's too early for a 1000 series isn't it?)

Apparently Not!

As @Agrimax said, it's a 1004-4T.
The engine is a 1988 build.

leloupsblanc wrote:For the antifreeze I have concentrated Motorex: coolant M3.0 to dilute. Is it good for my JCB?

Your coolant is ASTM 3306 compliant, so exactly as specified.
https://motorex.com/fr-fr/coolant-m30--49762

I have to fill from the expansion tank on the right in the photo?

Yes

At what level should I stop filling the coolant?

2/3 fill the expansion tank.

I have a question about a filler cap that I don't know what it is. Circle in red on the photo.

Yes - That's the oil filler.

5w/30 is too thin.
10w/30 is good down to -10C. If it is colder than that, you need to find something else to do!

Engine identification
Perkins Engine Number Guide

Engine manual
Perkins Phaser and 1000 Series workshop manual

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:31 pm

The difference between the 4.236 and the 1000 series is quite easy to spot. The latter has a flat top over the rockers. The earlier engine has a more trad rocker cover. I believe the series overlapped for a while in some applications.

Topic author
leloupsblanc

Post #10 by leloupsblanc » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:42 pm

Great ! Thank you all for your answers which help me a lot.
One more question: since my transmission oil is polluted by the coolant leaking from the auxiliary exchanger, it must be replaced. She is white. Normal ? What oil do you need?
I would also like to replace the front and rear axle oil. What oil?
I can't find any documentation that indicates the types of oil or the filter references or the procedures for making the replacement.
A little help would be nice.
Anyway, thank you all again for answering me. It's nice that people respond.

Super ! Merci à tous pour vos réponses qui m'aide bien.
Encore une question : vue que mon huile de transmission est pollué par le liquide de refroidissement qui fuit depuis l'échangeur auxiliaire il faut que la remplace. Elle est blanche. Normal ? Quelle huile il faut ?
Je voudrais également remplacer les huile du pont avant et arrière. Quelle huile ?
Je ne trouve pas de documentation qui indique les types d'huile ni les références de filtre ni les procédures pour faire le remplacement.
Un peu d'aide serait bien venu.
En tout cas merci encore une fois à tous de me répondre. Ça fait plaisir que les personnes répondent.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”