JCB 3cx Project 8 Dump Pedal

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
BriJCB
Flag: Ireland

JCB 3cx Project 8 Dump Pedal

Post #1 by BriJCB » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:02 pm

Hi,
Looking for some advice as a JCB total newbie (purchased for home extension works).
Firstly I apologise if this has been covered in another thread, I've searched extensively and can't see anything relatable so if there is something elsewhere please direct me not lambaste me :D

My query is when I put the shuttle stalk into forward or reverse the machine picks up the drive and moves even with my foot on the brakes hard. Is this normal? every thread I read tells me to stay the F away from the dump pedal which initially I mistakenly thought was a clutch. Its difficult to do anything precise close to objects when the machine jolts into drive when trying to edge closer. Is this a brakes issue or something worse?

Yesterday the machine died while in use and refuses to even turnover just does nothing when the key is turned. Im wondering if this relates to my earlier use of the dump pedal and why everyone advises against using it. Anyway I am dealing with this dead issue separately through tracing electrical faults etc. but would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on my initial query.

Thanks in advance,
Brian :thumbup:

JCB 3cx-4 1992 P8

Petej247
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3cx Project 8 Dump Pedal

Post #2 by Petej247 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:01 pm

Hi - probably be covered better by others but mine will only just creep on idle in forward, the brakes control the forward or reverse movement. Is your idle speed too high? I have a lever on the right for manually holding the engine at a higher RPM for working...is this set in a higher position?

Reference to not starting - are any lights on, is there a click when the key is turned? Battery connections good? Good Battery?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi and welcome :wave: there should be people on here who can offer you some good advice. :thumbup:

Jeremy

gandamaluco
Flag: Portugal

Post #4 by gandamaluco » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:15 pm

Good morning to everyone

"every thread I read tells me to stay the F away from the dump pedal which initially I mistakenly thought was a clutch"

The clutch switch actually serves to stop the machine while loading or unloading material. When you press it, it activates the clutch so the machine is able to use all the torque to raise the front shovel and works faster in the loading process.

"Yesterday the machine died while in use and refuses to even turnover just does nothing when the key is turned. Im wondering if this relates to my earlier use of the dump pedal and why everyone advises against using it. Anyway I am dealing with this dead issue separately through tracing electrical faults etc. but would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on my initial query."

Check all your fuses and look for that one that controls the powershift... maybe the C6 Fuse in the fusebox
try this pic for example:
download/file.php?id=54821&mode=view

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by gecko.cx » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:43 pm

Not only the fuses, but also check the relays - some dust or moisture can make them intermittent.
Before you start pulling them; take a pic of the layout (the green and blue relays are not interchangeable).

Personally, I also spray the contacts with an 'electrical lube' as it makes it much easier when swapping components.

gandamaluco
Flag: Portugal

Post #6 by gandamaluco » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:00 pm

Gecko...
I fully agree.
I also advise to check all the connections up to the starter. Not sure what caused the failure, was it while working?

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:17 am

BriJCB wrote:Hi,
Looking for some advice as a JCB total newbie (purchased for home extension works).
Firstly I apologise if this has been covered in another thread, I've searched extensively and can't see anything relatable so if there is something elsewhere please direct me not lambaste me :D

My query is when I put the shuttle stalk into forward or reverse the machine picks up the drive and moves even with my foot on the brakes hard. Is this normal? every thread I read tells me to stay the F away from the dump pedal which initially I mistakenly thought was a clutch. Its difficult to do anything precise close to objects when the machine jolts into drive when trying to edge closer. Is this a brakes issue or something worse?

Yesterday the machine died while in use and refuses to even turnover just does nothing when the key is turned. Im wondering if this relates to my earlier use of the dump pedal and why everyone advises against using it. Anyway I am dealing with this dead issue separately through tracing electrical faults etc. but would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on my initial query.

Thanks in advance,
Brian :thumbup:

JCB 3cx-4 1992 P8

Have you had any resolve?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”