JCB 3CX 1988 Stabiliser Jack Hydraulic Ram leaking

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Soulman
Flag: Ireland

JCB 3CX 1988 Stabiliser Jack Hydraulic Ram leaking

Post #1 by Soulman » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:19 pm

Hi All,

My JCB 3CX Grey Cab 1988 has had a leaky right side Stabiliser hydraulic ram for a while but recently it got worse and is messy with leaking oil getting onto the working area around the machine so i have decided to tackle and fix the issue so i thought i'd document the process here in case anytone else is in a similar position.

step 1: I placed a wooden block under the stabiliser pad and extended the stabiliser ram a little until it rested on the wooden block.

step2: There is a pin that retains the stabiliser pad to the hydraulic ram coupler and this pin is kept in place by a bolt that screws into the hydraulic ram coupler head and then through the retaining pin to hold it in place. so I removed the retaining bolt that keeps this pin in place

step 3: I tapped out the retaining pin that attaches the stabiliser pad to the ram coupler

step 4: i retracted the ram fully

step 5: unscrewed the two hydraulic pipes connecting to the top of the ram and sealed them off to prevent dirt entering the system.

step 6: remove the retaining nut and bolt that keeps the top stabiliser pin in place and using a long thin punch, tap out that pin carefully. I removed the two bushings whilst tapping the punch through. The punch will stop the RAM falling down into the stabiliser channel.

step 7: slide a rope through the hydraulic ram top end where the pin was removed (thin punch allows room for rope to slide through) and then carefully remove the punch while keeping a pull on the rope.

step 8: lift the hydraulic ram up through the stabiliser channel, to clear the machine

I now have to drop the ram to a repair shop and get the seals replaced and then i'll document the refitting process.
Last edited by Soulman on Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Soulman

Re: JCB 3CX 1988 Stabiliser Hydraulic Ram leaking

Post #2 by Soulman » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:39 pm

Topic author
Soulman

Post #3 by Soulman » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:28 pm

Question for the forum, does anyone have the seal kit number for a 1988 Grey Cab Stabiliser Jack Hydraulic Ram?

once upon a time i could access https://parts.jcb.com/parts and get the part number for my machine but this site is now UK only i think? Its a pity, it was a gift for finding exact part numbers :(

diggerjones
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by diggerjones » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:51 pm

Ring vickory plant. Sounds like the removal was easy. I've heard some right horror stories

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by gecko.cx » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:59 am

Soulman wrote:once upon a time i could access https://parts.jcb.com/parts and get the part number for my machine but this site is now UK only i think? Its a pity, it was a gift for finding exact part numbers :(

I've got the same problem, but a VPN pointed at the uk gets me in (I just need to clear my cookies occasionally).

The leg cylinder was my first to rebuild (done many since then). It's pretty straight forward so long as the chrome doesn't need work.
Last edited by gecko.cx on Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:17 pm

991/00015 should be the right number...that's for a 40mm rod and 70mm inside diameter cylinder.

Topic author
Soulman

Post #7 by Soulman » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:34 pm

gecko.cx wrote:
Soulman wrote:once upon a time i could access https://parts.jcb.com/parts and get the part number for my machine but this site is now UK only i think? Its a pity, it was a gift for finding exact part numbers :(

I've got the same problem, but a VPN pointed at he uk gets me in.

could i ask which VPN service you used? .. thanks

Topic author
Soulman

Post #8 by Soulman » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:40 pm

agrimax wrote:991/00015 should be the right number...that's for a 40mm rod and 70mm inside diameter cylinder.

I rang ECI JCB in Dublin and the part number they provided based on serial number of the machine was

991/00100

Its a pricy kit though, €98 + VAT = €120 :(

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #9 by gecko.cx » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:56 pm

Soulman wrote:could i ask which VPN service you used? .. thanks

Sure.
I use http://www.privateinternetaccess.com because it suits my purpose (many servers in different countries).
I spend too much of my time "somewhere else", so I often need "a correction"!
It's not the cheapest (~80usd/3y).

I haven't tried any other service for several years, so don''t really know how it compares any more.

For the seal kit, try an alternative supplier - there is a lot to be saved

https://hcparts.eu/search?controller=se ... it_search=

agrimax

Post #10 by agrimax » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:39 pm

The number I gave is from the JCB parts lists for your machine. The other number you were given is listed for a different type of machine but is likely the same kit. They are both for 40x70mm cylinders. Just check the diameter of your rod to be sure. Can be had for between £10 and £20 sterling in the UK from aftermarket sources such as Vicary Plant or Seal Kits UK etc.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”