Jcb 3cx identification

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

essexpete

Re: Jcb 3cx identification

Post #11 by essexpete » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:59 am

I would give the shuttle an oil and filter change. You won't get all the oil out. Agrimax will run through the procedure. Always a bit of debate on which oil to use.
One or 2 tricks with the Borg Warner trans is not to shuttle whilst still rolling, don't shuttle with high revs, don't make the machine labour in too high a gear and don't use the dump pedal to feather the transmission.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

agrimax

Post #12 by agrimax » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:42 pm

Like the 3C Powertrain,the early Leyland engined 3CX had a torque filter but for whatever reason,it was dropped from the Perkins variant. Just a suction strainer which is inside the square sump on the bottom of the shuttle unit. Pull the drain plug,drain the oil and remove the sump and see if the strainer needs a wash. The plug is the lowest point so whatever comes out is as good as it gets. Don't think there is a drain plug on the torque converter on these or if there is there's no access to it.(The later synchro shuttle box has)
As pete says,there's always been a question over the correct oil to use... Personally,I have only ever used ATF Dexron 2 and had no issues over 27 years but I believe the recommended fluid is SAE 10W but that might be called something else in Australia.If it was driving ok before you drained it,I'd return the same amount of fresh oil,which is refilled through the dipstick tube. Dip with the engine idling.
The gearbox itself has square headed drain and level plugs. EP80w90 gear oil for it.
The rear axle needs oil suitable for wet brakes. We in the UK would use SUTO or UTTO 10w30 but I think in OZ it might be 20w30.

essexpete

Post #13 by essexpete » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:28 am

The rear axle really seemed to need something other than UTTO in our old powertrain or the brakes squawked. We used a JCB oil of some description.
The manitou I had did not like UTTO in the axles either, caused havoc with brakes and limited slip diff.

essexpete

Post #14 by essexpete » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 am

Another point Agrimax do you think the Shuttle should be topped up like for like. I guess ATF is likely to be red.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #15 by agrimax » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:07 am

I've always had super universal in my axle and never had a bother tbh. If the shuttle oil is red,I'd go with atf and if it's clear,go with 10w, although I've looked at a couple of oil finder websites and they suggest using either.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”