Hydraulic oil replacement

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
CHRISEEBOY
Flag: Great Britain

Hydraulic oil replacement

Post #1 by CHRISEEBOY » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:30 am

Having emptied my hydaulic oil tank I now need to refil it.

Ive started to pour oil back into the tank and it has filled up to the brim after only a few liters. It is a 50L tank so cant imagine its full after 5 liters. Is it just a question of operating the hydraulics to dislodge air and then turn off the engine and pour more oil in?

essexpete

Re: Hydraulic oil replacement

Post #2 by essexpete » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Is this the 3C?

MrF
Flag: France

Post #3 by MrF » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Assuming yes to it being the 3c, you shouldn't try to start it until all the fluid is in & the levels are right as the pump can be damaged pumping air.

You add the oil to the filler at the top hose filling point, but that has to flow through the large filter inside the filter housing below and then into the main storage tank & also the part of the chassis which is the main capacity of the oil storage also, so thats half the machine's lower frame and the two tanks where the front loader arms mount.

As its not under pressure, gravity makes it pass through, and you can pour it in much faster than it flows through the filter, especially if the filter is partially blocked. I think I remember removing something to allow the air to escape without having to bubble back up the filler when I changed the filter but its been a while & I thought the hydraulic oil capacity was nearer 190L, if you drained the whole system 50L is way too little. Maybe you just mean the filter housing? the tank proper is the actual frame of the machine. Or did you take the bottom of the frame tanks off to clean the suction filter?

Your next challenge could be trying to see the oil level inside the cab unless the level tube is brand new. The previous owner of my 3c2 put the orange tip of a fishing float in there so it could be seen which I thought was quite a neat idea and I might borrow for my current machine, as its a pig to see when the tube starts to get discolored with hot oil and age. Also a really bright torch helps.

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Don't run anyway with filler off as oil will fly out.

Topic author
CHRISEEBOY
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by CHRISEEBOY » Sun May 23, 2021 8:50 pm

Apologies, I forgot about this thread. Yes pete its the 3C and you have responded to my new thread about the hydraulics not working.

Thank you mrF, its reassuring to know that the time it took to get the oil in was normal. It took an absolute age to get 20L back in!

I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any more than 20L and the hydrachassis was full prior to me removing the pump. I shouldn't have said I had "emptied" my tank in my original post as this is clearly not the case.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”