JCB 3CX 4x4 sitemaster 1988 Parking Brake & RELAY

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
qwaszx
Flag: Portugal

JCB 3CX 4x4 sitemaster 1988 Parking Brake & RELAY

Post #1 by qwaszx » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:45 am

Hello,

I recently bought a JCB 3CX 4x4 sitemaster 1988.

Unfortunately Parking Brake it is not working and I have some problem
to find bracket location as show in diagram part n. 18.

Also i can't find FW and Reverse RELAY location as show in diagram part n. 46.

Does ANYONE has some pictures or can give some help?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3CX 4x4 sitemaster 1988 Parking Brake & RELAY

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:06 pm

Hi and welcome to the site :wave: I am sure somebody on here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Jeremy

Topic author
qwaszx

Post #3 by qwaszx » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:40 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

Great forum you have here. Hope to receive some tips.

Already look in SPP and Service Manual and can't find more.

Maybe someone with a similiar machine can take some pictures and post.
That would be helpful.

Best Regards

diggerjones
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by diggerjones » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:38 am

The forward and reverse relays will be on the talk converter i think.
I had all the handbrake on mine in bits last year to get it working. What do you want to know

Topic author
qwaszx

Post #5 by qwaszx » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:24 am

diggerjones wrote:The forward and reverse relays will be on the talk converter i think.
I had all the handbrake on mine in bits last year to get it working. What do you want to know

Hi Diggerjones,
the brake cable is loose on mine.
So I need to see where it tightens the clamp that holds it in the middle.
If you can make a video or take some pictures of the bottom of the machine it would be great.

diggerjones

Post #6 by diggerjones » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:36 am

If your saying the handbrake isn't working and you need it tightened, then on the prop with the brake disc there should be some sort of bolt or allen key

Slooby

Post #7 by Slooby » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:07 am

On the handbrake front; item 18 is simply a clip that helps to tie the handbrake cable back to the chassis, all of the adjustment is on the the mechanical caliper at the transmission end, or beneath the rubber gaiter at the handbrake lever end inside the cab. I found that on mine the pads were so worn down that the previous owner had put a collection of over sized nuts and washers on the adjuster bolt where it acted on the caliper to try and make up for the complete lack of real adjustment left. A strip down of the caliper, followed by a good clean, a new set of pads fitted and then reassembly was all mine needed. It really is a very simple brake arrangement to take to pieces and get working again.

As for the forward/reverse shuttle relays, from memory they are located inside the steering column shroud down by the the transmission dump foot pedal, they send the power to the solenoids that are located inside the automatic gearbox section (which provides forward and reverse function) with the torque converter that sits between the engine and the 4 speed manual gearbox. I couldn't find the pictures last night when I started trying to find them, but I'm pretty sure they are shown somewhere in the project thread I created for my 1987 2wd 3CX
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
qwaszx

Post #8 by qwaszx » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:31 am

Slooby wrote:On the handbrake front; item 18 is simply a clip that helps to tie the handbrake cable back to the chassis, all of the adjustment is on the the mechanical caliper at the transmission end, or beneath the rubber gaiter at the handbrake lever end inside the cab. I found that on mine the pads were so worn down that the previous owner had put a collection of over sized nuts and washers on the adjuster bolt where it acted on the caliper to try and make up for the complete lack of real adjustment left. A strip down of the caliper, followed by a good clean, a new set of pads fitted and then reassembly was all mine needed. It really is a very simple brake arrangement to take to pieces and get working again.

As for the forward/reverse shuttle relays, from memory they are located inside the steering column shroud down by the the transmission dump foot pedal, they send the power to the solenoids that are located inside the automatic gearbox section (which provides forward and reverse function) with the torque converter that sits between the engine and the 4 speed manual gearbox. I couldn't find the pictures last night when I started trying to find them, but I'm pretty sure they are shown somewhere in the project thread I created for my 1987 2wd 3CX

Hi Slooby,

I REALLY see that you are like me, someone who is not afraid to get their hands dirty. :thumbup:
Item 18 doesn't apears to be important but it is. Special when you don't have it, the parking brake will not work at all.
This happens to mine. The previous owner remove item 18 and i can't see where it is tight.
Can you take a picture to show where is tight in the chassis?

Thanks for your Post. :gooodpost:

Slooby

Post #9 by Slooby » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:11 pm

qwaszx wrote:I REALLY see that you are like me, someone who is not afraid to get their hands dirty. :thumbup:
Item 18 doesn't apears to be important but it is. Special when you don't have it, the parking brake will not work at all.
This happens to mine. The previous owner remove item 18 and i can't see where it is tight.
Can you take a picture to show where is tight in the chassis?

I think you'll probably find that nearly everyone on here is a fully paid-up member of the dirty fingernail* club! ;)

If the weather isn't too bad tomorrow (it's being typically British winter at the moment - ie pervasive damp to tipping it down with rain) I'll climb underneath my digger and take a pic or two of the handbrake cable and adjuster mechanism. From memory, I think that clip 18 is missing on mine and there are just a few cable ties tying the handbrake cable up out of the way to anything that could be found

*I actually have to wear nitrile gloves when getting oily as I developed contact dermatitis and an allergy to petro-chemicals on my hands after an accident involving cellulose thinners when I was 19...
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
qwaszx

Post #10 by qwaszx » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:34 pm

Slooby wrote:
qwaszx wrote:
I think you'll probably find that nearly everyone on here is a fully paid-up member of the dirty fingernail* club! ;)

If the weather isn't too bad tomorrow (it's being typically British winter at the moment - ie pervasive damp to tipping it down with rain) I'll climb underneath my digger and take a pic or two of the handbrake cable and adjuster mechanism. From memory, I think that clip 18 is missing on mine and there are just a few cable ties tying the handbrake cable up out of the way to anything that could be found

*I actually have to wear nitrile gloves when getting oily as I developed contact dermatitis and an allergy to petro-chemicals on my hands after an accident involving cellulose thinners when I was 19...

Hi Slooby,

Thank you for your concern.
I know how the weather can be damp in the UK.
Over the past 3 weeks it has been rainy here in PT and it is expected at least another 2 weeks of rain and 70km/h of wind.

At least with photo i can see the route of the cable. On the way there I will find the hole for item 18.
The adjuster is easy. I started adjusting the cable until I found that it was loose.

By the way, I always start with orange nitrile gloves, and then i finish the day with my hands full of oil. :)

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”