Confirmation needed

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
GrunterNI
Flag: Great Britain

Confirmation needed

Post #1 by GrunterNI » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:42 am

Guys, I know there’s plenty of very knowledgeable people in the room and being totally new to this JCB ownership thing I need help confirming if this leak in the photo is coming from the torque converter? The fluid leaking out is clear pink, the same colour as the atf fluid I use in my Jeep, and is leaking from the small gap at the bottom of the bell housing. There is no fluid showing on the dipstick either when cold or when running. I know it should be checked at running temperature as it’s the same procedure for my Jeep but just mentioned both scenarios for info.

So is this the TC or something else?

If it is a torque converter leak does the whole unit in the pic below have to come out as one from the bell housing to the diff, as shown in the service manual, to split and refurb the tc or is there an easier method? I’m a mechanical engineer by trade and fairly competent wielding the spanner’s so don’t have any problem with doing the job but I just want to be sure I’m starting the job at the right place?

All of your input and hopefully someone’s confirmation is very much appreciated :claphands:

essexpete

Re: Confirmation needed

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:38 pm

Sounds/like you have a leak on the torque converter. I think you have drop the combined shuttle converter with the gear box to gain access. Several on here have experience. My limited experience was helping with removal and refit. We jacked the rear and place short sleepers between the jack feet and bottom rail on the rear hoe. We a trolly jack with a cup made to fit the little shuttle sump.

Topic author
GrunterNI
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by GrunterNI » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:08 am

Thanks for that Essexpete. Do you know what fluid goes in the TC? Is it an ATF? The guy I bought it off told me about the leak and said that it was using about half a litre per days work. For now I’ve some digging and levelling to do so I’ll just keep it topped up until winter and sort out the leak then

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:36 am

It really should have have the 10w transmission fluid not the red ATF. Not a huge capacity so dropping 1/2 l per day will see it below normal level quickly.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”