JCB fuel blockages

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

JCB fuel blockages

Post #1 by Matchless?58 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi all
I am having real trouble with fuel blockages on my 3d , crap and rust coming from the fuel tank is constantly blocking up the filter which means that I am having to bleed the machine and clean the filter almost every five minutes ! It's so annoying when the engine dies all the time in use .
The po at least fitted an inline fuel filter which I clean every time . Then bleed the system and she fires straight up . I am also suspecting a fuel leak from the tank because when it is over half full fuel is dripping from somewhere behind the chassis .
I am beginning to think that with these issues my only option is to fit an alternative fuel tank . I have read a lot of posts on here about similar problems and I know some people have even taken drastic measures and cut a hole in the tank to clean it out . I have no cab on my machine ATM ( that's waiting for attention ) and I might be able to remove the fuel gauge from the top of the tank but I don't think that the hole will be big enough to be of much use ?
So back to the alternative tank idea .
Has anyone else done this ? What did you use ? Where did you locate it ?
My other thought was remove the fuel pipe from bottom of tank and knock a hole through the filter inside the tank release all the crap/ rust and try and flush it with something . Might be a bad idea but I'm running out of options .
So over to you all any experiences ideas advice and suggestions all gratefully received .
Cheers Chris

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB fuel blockages

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:57 pm

Chris, if your fuel tank has a possible leak as well as being full of rust and crap then you have two simple choices which are firstly remove your fuel tank and get it cleaned out and repaired or get another tank, I'd be contacting Vicary Plant to ask for their advice and to see if they could offer you a good second hand tank?

I have seen other different types of machine fitted with a non-standard fuel tank, anything from old truck fuel tanks to tanks off other machines but I have never seen this as a permanent fix, just my thoughts anyway.

Jeremy

agrimax

Post #3 by agrimax » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:08 pm

Can't remove the fuel tank on old JCBs Jeremy. It's welded into the frame of the machine.Well,when I say can't.......it could in theory be cut out with a plasma cutter and a new one made to refit back in.
Three options really.
1...I can't remember if there is a plate underneath where the outlet fitting is screwed in(don't think there is on a 3C/D),but remove the fitting underneath and the fuel gauge above and use a steam cleaner at full heat through the top.Would need a bend on the lance to get right in there. Can't see all the gunge coming out of the small outlet though!
2... Cut a hole in the top of the tank with a plasma cutter that will allow thorough cleaning with a steam cleaner and vacuum, and then a good person with a welder to replace the cut out piece. Would suggest flushing the tank with water a few times first and then leave it full before cutting.
3...Mount a suitable size tank(something off a small truck should suit) on a mudguard and run the feed and return pipes across the floor and below the steering column to the fuel system.

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #4 by Matchless?58 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:40 pm

Thanks Jeremy and agrimax .
Removing the old fuel tank will be a non starter I think as I don't have the necessary skills to refabricate a new one .
There is no plate screwed underneath where the feed pipe enters the tank and I'm inclined to agree with you that all the muck wouldn't come out of the small outlet especially as I will have to smash the fuel filter in the tank out the way first . So option 1 is probably not going to work although better than doing nothing .
Regards option 2 . That sounds a bit more doable but it will take longer and I need the machine right now ( ain't that always the way ).
Re option 3 . I think that to get the machine up and running that will have to be the temporary solution but at the same time working on option 2 as a permanent fix .
Regarding the tank leaking I had a look this afternoon and it might be coming from the fuel filler neck as the hose ( don't even know if that's supposed to be there ) seems very perished . I think when I've been going over rough ground the fuel has been sloshing up the neck of the filler and leaking out . Lots of fuel in that area so might be good news there .
I think I vaughly remember someone who said that they had screwed in a new fuel outlet pipe higher up the tank which means that the last couple of gallons of fuel are sacrificed but all the muck and crap drops to the bottom and stays there . I can think of two problems with that idea . If you go over rough ground won't the fuel still slosh about and bring all the rubbish up ? How do you manage to seal the new fuel outlet pipe unless you drill and tap and screw it in with a seal . I'm not sure the metal is thick enough for that unless someone knows otherwise .
What are your thoughts on that option ?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks Agrimax :thumbup: :bow: my JCB knowledge is somewhat lacking; but I agree with you that if the tank is fixed in then the only way to repair it would be to cut a hole in it as you have suggested and cleaning/repairing it that way. I don't know if you have the room to do this but if I had gone to the trouble of cutting a hole in the top of the tank then while it was being weld repaired I think if there was room I'd get some studs fixed in the top of the tank and make an access plate and seal it with a gasket.

Jeremy

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #6 by Matchless?58 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:21 pm

Good idea Jeremy . That would help to eliminate any further trouble and make tank cleaning a bit easier .
What do you think of the idea of fitting a higher fuel tap ?
Cheers Chris

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #7 by gecko.cx » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:42 am

[quote="~ while it was being weld repaired I think if there was room I'd get some studs fixed in the top of the tank and make an access plate and seal it with a gasket.

Jeremy[/quote]
I like the idea, but I'd use a hydraulic filter cover plate from a 3cx and nutserts (for convenience) as it will allow the use of standard parts and an off-the-shelf gasket (my P8 uses the same gasket for the hydraulic filter and the diesel filler neck).

Another thought - older motorbiked had a bad habit of collecting water at the lowest point, contaminating the fuel with rust and sludge. The common fix was a resin called Kreem https://kreem.com/fueltankliner.html. Either spraying it in or pouring and then blasting with an air nozzle would spread it around.
You'd need to flush with lots of detergent first for any chance of it bonding, but once set, it would coat any debris and keep it out of the fuel.

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:58 am

Short term fix would be to raise the pickup point. As you drain out you might draw out some of the crap. I did that with an IH tractor years ago where the tank would have been a pig to use. I like the sound of a permanent access point like Jeremy suggests. Has the machine got a sediment bowl with a gauze in it some where near the bulkhead? Have you also checked the gauze in the lift pump?

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #9 by Matchless?58 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:01 pm

Hi thanks for all your suggestions . I think any one of these ideas will work .
I think I am going to try the hole in the top of the tank method because it offers more of a permanent solution .
I did consider fixing a new fuel outlet pipe in a bit higher up the tank but having thought about it going over any rough ground would still stir up the muck in the tank so I've written off that idea .
I have cleaned all the fuel system right back to the tank and also fitted an additional inline filter . I did that before I started using the machine and I'm so glad I did take that extra bit of time now . The inline filter is the first line of defence and that's the one that keeps blocking solid I don't mind cleaning it out but every five minutes is too much even for me !
I didn't renew the two fuel filters up near the top of the engine as they didn't seem too bad but if I'm going to clean out the tank I will go the whole hog and renew everything from injectors back to the tank hopefully fix the problem .
Like the idea of a tank sealant as I've used it on motorbikes in the past but the difficulty would be coating all the surfaces because you can't slosh it around in the tank .
I will post back when I've had a go at it .
Cheers Chris

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #10 by Matchless?58 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:28 am

Hi all well I've had a go at clearing out the muck from my fuel tank .
I thought I would try and do it without cutting a hole in the tank ( although it might end up being done ) so I drained the tank ,removed the fuel sender gauge filled it with water and detergent and set too with a pressure washer . Lucky for me the thin lance of the pressure washer went right inside the tank so I wash able to hit it from all angles .
After numerous washes and flushes five hours later the water seemed to be running out clean so I left it to dry for a couple of days . Thank goodness the weather has been warm and dry . I refilled the dry tank with fuel today then worked the machine for a couple of hours noticed a small amount of brown sediment in the inline filter which I will clean out tomorrow . No blockages so far so it must have improved it .
I think if it happens again I will try caustic soda flakes and pressure washer . I have had success with old motorbike tanks using this method . I know it sounds drastic but works well as long as you really flush the tank well copious amounts of water required . I usually neutralise the caustic soda with a small amount of household bleach which is an alkali . Do this after washing out the main lot of caustic soda flakes .Again flush thoroughly then dry tank as quickly as possible with a hot air gun . Only drawback with a JCB is you can't pick it up and shake it about ! so will have to be agitated with the pressure washer .
Thanks everyone for your help and advice .
Regards Chris

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”