JCB 1700B, Help what do I have?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 1700B, Help what do I have?

Post #11 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:31 pm

James a center mount is where the back-hoe is fixed centrally at the back of the machine, we normally have the back-hoe mounted on a kingpin that can be slid to either side of the machine along a slide rail, saves you having to re-position the machine when using the back-hoe.

Jeremy

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by agrimax » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:52 am

Hi James, The oil cooler is probably below and maybe slightly behind the radiator.
This thread will help you.........3CX running without oil cooler
You also need to drain the pink oil from the torque converter. Maybe you've already done this? There's a large rubber grommet covering an inspection hole on the bottom of the transmission. You need to remove it and turn the engine over by hand until you can see a plug on the TC.That's the drain plug.A flush through with fresh oil should clean out the most of the bad stuff....
The 777 parts site is quite good but you need to register and then subscribe an amount of $$ to use it. When you pay,the pictures and full part numbers become clear. (Think it's around $5 for a half hour browse or considerably more for open usage for a year.)
Still can't figure out what the box with hoses is for!

Topic author
ttman4
Flag: United States of America

Post #13 by ttman4 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:23 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:James a center mount is where the back-hoe is fixed centrally at the back of the machine, we normally have the back-hoe mounted on a kingpin that can be slid to either side of the machine along a slide rail, saves you having to re-position the machine when using the back-hoe.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, My machine is centrally mounted with 2 cyl that swing the hoe either direction. There is no slide rail side to side. It's set up just like my old Ford 4500 I still have, same as the Ford 550 & Ford 555 that I used to have. Get ready to reposition machine & either put in gear & drive it or press hoe down till tires & outriggers clear, then swing hoe to reposition then set machine down to reposition.

I'll try to post some pics of it as well as couple other pics.....oilcooler, etc, etc

Topic author
ttman4

Post #14 by ttman4 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:42 pm

agrimax wrote:Hi James, The oil cooler is probably below and maybe slightly behind the radiator.
This thread will help you.........3CX running without oil cooler
You also need to drain the pink oil from the torque converter. Maybe you've already done this? There's a large rubber grommet covering an inspection hole on the bottom of the transmission. You need to remove it and turn the engine over by hand until you can see a plug on the TC.That's the drain plug.A flush through with fresh oil should clean out the most of the bad stuff....
The 777 parts site is quite good but you need to register and then subscribe an amount of $$ to use it. When you pay,the pictures and full part numbers become clear. (Think it's around $5 for a half hour browse or considerably more for open usage for a year.)
Still can't figure out what the box with hoses is for!

Thanks agrimax for the tip for draining the torque converter, that had me concerned. The rubber grommet is already gone, can see directly to TC.
& thanks for the link. Pic there looks like what I suspect my oil cooler looks like, as well as couple I found on EBay that look very similar. Need to do some more looking & tracing where everything goes & try to post some pics.

There is an oil cooler set-up mounted directly in front of the radiator that I think may be the Hyd System oil cooler.

Standing behind machine the other cooler is on left side of engine, plumbed from radiator, around in a loop, plumbed to shuttle, plumbed to engine, to/from thermostat area, etc, etc Just need to do some more looking & checking today & tomorrow.

agrimax

Post #15 by agrimax » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 pm

I think you'll find the cooler in front of the radiator is an auxiliary one for the transmission. Follow the hoses and see where they go. There isn't normally a hydraulic oil cooler fitted. My own older machine has only the one in front of the rad. The parts list for yours shows the option of two coolers.
If there's any residual oil in that cooler that resembles the pink stuff you have drained, both coolers are for the transmission,but if the oil is hydraulic,that top cooler may be for the steering circuit.

Topic author
ttman4

Post #16 by ttman4 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 am

Trying to upload some pics of my shuttle oilcooler. It's about 2" dia x 16" long, plumbed from bottom of radiator, down, winds around and back up to thermostat area. Hose to and from the shuttle tran.
Also the screen that goes into the bottom of the shuttle. Very nasty! Got about a qt of watery, nasty fluid from the shuttle. The spin-on filter on side of shuttle is also very nasty.
I also included a pic of the shuttle where the screen goes to hopefully help narrow down what kind of shuttle I have. Like I say I had antifreeze water dripping from the shuttle about a drop ea 10 seconds, I assume the shuttle oil cooler is leaking somehow.

Topic author
ttman4

Post #17 by ttman4 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:11 am

Agrimax, my son & I worked on this thing today, pulled the cover off below where we could see the TQ, turned the engine & convertor several times, and could not find any drain plug for the TQ. As nasty as the oil was that we drained out, as nasty as the screen filter as well as the spin-on filter was it's really got me worried!
Anyone got any tips or ideas from the pics I posted as well as everything I've posted, I'd really appreciate it'
Also it looks to have 2 hyd hoses fitted to front bottom of the radiator that goes to steering pump & other things.
Thanks
James

agrimax

Post #18 by agrimax » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:41 am

You have a JCB Synchro Shuttle transmission. Going by the state of the suction screen,I'd think the clutch packs will have suffered a great deal. They really don't like water. The only place that coolant can get in to the transmission is through that cooler. The other cooler in the front is for the steering circuit......I looked at the steering section in the JCB parts lists.
Strange there's no plug on the TC.

Topic author
ttman4

Post #19 by ttman4 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:11 pm

Well for now I'm on hold working on this JCB, Weather & other things in my world.
I'm not sure why my previous post with pics came thru with some upside down etc but hope these come thru right side up.

I'm posting pic showing the Centermount set-up my machine has. Reposting a pic showing the shuttle oil-cooler again, hopefully right side up. Also another pic of the machine farther away. (That one also shows part of another toy I have. Cat 1950 D6 9U that's in really, really great shape! Soon will have a new paint job on it hopefully.)

Again thanks guys for all the tips!!

Topic author
ttman4

Post #20 by ttman4 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Well yesterday my son & I pulled the shuttle cooler off & it's no good, really bad shape. Looks to me like it's been frozen at some point and the small tubes inside towards one end are all bent & messed up, like they have blown up. I've found a few on EBay but they don't look like mine. Mine is about 16" long x about 2 1/2" dia. It has an oil inlet toward one end and an oil outlet toward other end. Has place for temp sensor. Has a threaded "stub" on one side that attaches it to a bracket on the tractor frame.
There is a tinfoil sticker on the cooler with Birmingham, England on it, some other unreadable stuff, then some #'s that are totally unreadable. Was hoping I could find/read a part #.

Also can anyone tell me what this welded on metal post is in the pic with the blue arrow pointing at?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”