New to me 1987 JCB 3CX hydroclamp question

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
bongodrummer
Flag: Barbados

New to me 1987 JCB 3CX hydroclamp question

Post #1 by bongodrummer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:16 pm

HI guys,
New member here, I really appreciate all the knowledge on here, already leaned so much :claphands: I have a new to me 1987 3cx that I am wanting to do some work with... I have little to no experience with backhoes so the learning curve is steep here :)

One issue I am having is that the hydroclamps don't seem to be functioning quite right... Instigating under the plastic cover it seemed that the lever and linkage that rotates the hydroclamps valve was ok... But undoing the linkage I can what looks like a little oil leakage and the splined ring that it clamps round can be turned indefinitely by hand. Is this normal?? If so how do I know what's on and whats off?
The diagram in the workshop manual looks somewhat different to the layout I see on this machine. But It says in the manual to screw it fully in then undo 180 degrees, to get it properly positioned...

I am tempted to investigate further and start undoing the assembly, but would love some guidance. If I undo it with the engine off and the boom in a resting neutral position (found by moving the leavers every way with the engine off), will I be faced with a torrent of hydraulic oil? what precautions should I take? Any other thoughts or guidance would be really appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

:offtopic: should I be worried about replacing these perished and missing grommet protector bits - if so anyone know where I can source some from, and can I get ones that slide on without undoing hoses? Thanx.

Topic author
bongodrummer

Re: New to me 1987 JCB 3CX hydroclamp question

Post #2 by bongodrummer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:17 am

Bump. Really could do with some help on this one guys, any thoughts?

Land Rover

Post #3 by Land Rover » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Haven't a clue about the hydroclamps , that does look a weird set up . Does it rotate indefinitely when the engine is running ?.

On the hoses I'd just cut a bit of rubber and wrap it round and get at least one cable tie on the protruding bit . Always a bit wary about doing too much protecting and trapping moisture and crud tight against the hose . No doubt you could buy those grommets somewhere .

Topic author
bongodrummer

Post #4 by bongodrummer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Land Rover wrote:Haven't a clue about the hydroclamps , that does look a weird set up . Does it rotate indefinitely when the engine is running ?.

On the hoses I'd just cut a bit of rubber and wrap it round and get at least one cable tie on the protruding bit . Always a bit wary about doing too much protecting and trapping moisture and crud tight against the hose . No doubt you could buy those grommets somewhere .

Thanks, not actually tried rotating the collar thing with the engine running, good idea, I will try that tomorrow and report back.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”