JCB 2B starting issue

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
JCBMaff
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 2B starting issue

Post #1 by JCBMaff » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Morning all,
Had a JCB 2B delivered to me last week, had my first fettle at it this morning, it starts fine but only if I press the excess fuel/cold start button on the fuel pump, if I don’t press this it just turns over, even when the engine is warmed up. Any ideas?

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 2B starting issue

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Craig and welcome :wave: I take it this is the Ford 4 cylinder engine? I have the 6 cylinder Ford on my 580BT she will start without the cold start button when she's warm but when I first bought her she would not start without the cold start button pushed in; I have put this down to the digger standing for a time but all appears okay now.
Has your machine stood for a while? Give it a good work out and see how if it gets any better; it would not hurt to check the valve clearances either, let us know how you get on.

Jeremy

agrimax

Post #3 by agrimax » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:14 pm

The 2B would have a 3 cyl 2.8L BMC with Simms inline pump. The 69 3C2 I had,had the 3.8 BMC with inline pump and had the same problem.Always needed the excess button to start every time,warm or cold. Never bothered to get it fixed but probably needed the pump left with a pump expert!

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Does the engine run well otherwise? I wonder if the rack is moving properly. Saw a Major with simms recently with the rack all gummed up. Easy to take off the side plate and look.

Topic author
JCBMaff

Post #5 by JCBMaff » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Yes it’s the 3cyl 2.8 BMC. It runs great once started, but yes it has been stood for a long time!
If I take off the fuel pump side plate what am I looking for? What’s the rack?
I could just leave it and press the button every time, but this old girl is worthy of a restoration, so I’d like to get her working properly :thumbup:

agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:36 pm

This is a picture of a 6 cyl Minimec pump but the Simms is much the same. The arrow points to the rack. It should slide back and forward freely with light finger pressure and with the throttle fully opened and the button pressed in,it should jump slightly further forward again.(I think it's forward but can't remember!) Mine was completely free and the problem was further inside the pump and that's why I didn't deal with it.Only had that digger for a year anyway before upgrading.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #7 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:13 am

Hi Craig,
All good advice from Agrimax and he's right the rack does move forward when the button is pressed in.

It may be a good idea to check the oil level in the pump or even change it, something that's often overlooked.
You will find a drain plug under the governor housing and a level plug about half way up on the side. The big 15/16 AF plug in the top is the filler and it uses engine oil.

If all this doesn't cure the problem it may possibly point to the maximum fuel stop not allowing the pump to deliver enough fuel to kick it off without using the button.
You could try adjusting it. It's the screw with the lock nut near the oil filler plug on top of the pump.
"Proceed with caution" Screw it "out" not more than half a turn at a time and try to start after each adjustment. Make not more than say two full turns in total. If that doesn't help the problem is probably elsewhere in the pump.

Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #8 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks Agrimax and Fred :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”