1994 JCB 214 forward/reverse INOP

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
jcb214
Flag: Canada

1994 JCB 214 forward/reverse INOP

Post #1 by jcb214 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 am

1994 JCB 214
After an hour clearing snow the machine stopped going into forward or reverse. The action of the shift lever itself functions well - the detentes are solid - no sloppiness. The symptoms include - parking brake buzzer is ON when the parking brake is on and the shift lever is in NEUTRAL. The machine continued to run fine immediately after the forward/reverse command stopped working (and I had to drag myself back up the hill with the hoe to get it out of the way of traffic.) Once the machine was stopped it would not start again. Operators manual says the machine will not start in gear and, as mentioned above, the parking brake buzzer sounds when the shift lever is in neutral with the parking brake on. Is this a simple wiring issue? Corrosion, broken wire? (Where would I look for this?) Haven't checked the fuses yet - it's dark out and it's cold and it's a PITA. Does anyone have any sage words?
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Jeremy Rowland

Re: 1994 JCB 214 forward/reverse INOP

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:48 am

Daft question Alex but had your machines brakes frozen on? Give it a try today? :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
jcb214

Post #3 by jcb214 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Jeremy, I checked the brakes. They are releasing ok. I am (we all are in my neck of the woods) suffering from hideous cold weather so I haven't made the time to do any work on the machine... and haven't had any suggestions either.
Alex

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:13 am

I am guessing this is similar to the 3CX of a similar date? Is it a non power shift with manual gear box? If a manual then place it in neutral on the main gear lever. Then short out the starter solenoid. If this works you might have a problem in the wiring with the shuttle neutral safety switch.

Topic author
jcb214

Post #5 by jcb214 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:37 am

essexpete wrote:I am guessing this is similar to the 3CX of a similar date? Is it a non power shift with manual gear box? If a manual then place it in neutral on the main gear lever. Then short out the starter solenoid. If this works you might have a problem in the wiring with the shuttle neutral safety switch.

Hi Pete,
Not sure of the similarity with the 3CX. My machine is a synchro shuttle transmission. Thanks for the tip. When the temperature warms up I'll be out there digging around and I'll try this out. May have to resurrect this thread.
Cheers,
Alex

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”