Help! 3d or 3cx?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
peterhickman
Flag: Great Britain

Help! 3d or 3cx?

Post #1 by peterhickman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi guys I have owned this jcb for the past 9 years. It's been a great workhorse for me. However Its driving me nuts that I can't identify it. When i bought it i noticed the previous owners had put on 3cx stickers. But you can see covered under the last paintjob the 3d stickers at the top of the jack up rams. the jcb machine serial number reads 3D 298094/P. The trouble is it looks exactly like a white cab 3cx to me. It has the perkins engine with the black knob lever transmission, 2wd, 4 in 1 bucket. no extradig. I have contacted jcb who couldn't recognise the number. They put me onto greensheilds who said they would look into it but no contact so far. Heres a picture I'd be very grateful if anybody could shed some light on this for me.
Cheers, Peter

diggerjones

Re: Help! 3d or 3cx?

Post #2 by diggerjones » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 pm

3 cx I would say. And case mini digger

agrimax

Post #3 by agrimax » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 pm

The serial number suggests its a 3D.Essentially a 1982 3DX but I don't think they included the X in the actual name. Think they possibly had wider carriage rails like the Sitemaster. Do the jack legs sit flush with the mudguards or are they a few inches wider? Dipper should be longer than the standard 3CX whitecab too. Again,at least as long as the standard black cab fitment which had became longer than the old standard whitecab back hoe, in 84/85. It does look identical to my 82 basic 3cx,except I've no 4 in 1, but a picture of the backend may reveal more.......

Here's an 82 3D. Wider front bucket than standard,longer dipper and jack legs out beyond the mudguards.

https://images3.polovniautomobili.com/u ... 0x1080.jpg
Last edited by agrimax on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:46 am

Useful bit of ID information there Agrimax!

Topic author
peterhickman

Post #5 by peterhickman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks that’s useful info. Here’s a pic from the rear. The jack legs are approx 6inches out from the mudguards.

agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 pm

Yip,A 3D(X). Longer dipper and wider rails. Think it's actually a 1983 model. A zoom in on the gear lever shows the later shape gear knob than mine. 26'' wheels on the back perhaps rather than 28s and 18'' fronts rather than 16''? Don't know if there were any other differences between the CX and D.

Topic author
peterhickman

Post #7 by peterhickman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Fab thanks for the clarification that’s really handy. I find that when I need spares I order bits for a white cab 3cx and everything seems to fit. So it make sense what you say about the only differences being the bigger bucket, jack frame and dipper length.

On a different note.. when I bought the machine the inching pedal (clutch?) didn’t do anything. I used it for a couple of months operating the shuttle lever to change direction. Then it packed up and I got a fitter to fit a refurbed transmission, all working again.. together with a functioning pedal. The thing is with this pedal I can totally engage or disengage drive. What I can not do is slip the clutch as you would in a car to just inch forward. I have learned to live with it. Is this normal for these machines? I’m guessing not as there’s not a hope in hell I could ever pick up a pallet if I was lucky enough to have pallet tines fitted as the machine is just not controllable enough. Is there some incorrect adjustment somewhere perhaps?

agrimax

Post #8 by agrimax » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:09 am

Whatever you do,do not try to ''slip the clutch'' as such,with that pedal.It is only for activating a dump valve to allow you to change gear. Should be up or down only. The clutch plates in the shuttle transmission do not like being slipped and will last no length of time if you do.Momentary use is all it's for.
You should be able to inch into a pallet by keeping the revs right down and go up a gear if need be.Is your low idle engine speed set low enough? It will creep forward on 1st and 2nd gear at tick over,but just hold it back with the brakes. Go up to 3rd gear and it shouldn't move til you press the throttle.

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:41 pm

I'll second what Agrimax has said. Do not try to slip as a clutch. You can inch with it using in conjunction with the brake pedal if tight maneuvering is required but it should not be used in general shuttling. Later applications of this transmission often had an electric solenoid to operate the dump/disconnect spool to stop the 'feathering' attempts. My advice for shuttling would be to use in conjunction with the brakes and not to shift opposite whilst still rolling. Apologies if that is obvious to you. If you observe that and avoid using a gear that makes it hard on the transmission to pick up speed the transmission will last. Keep an eye on the transmission fluid level and condition. Check dip stick with the engine at idle and top up with very small quantities, re-checking as you go.
What caused what looks like a heating mark on the dipper?

Topic author
peterhickman

Post #10 by peterhickman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 am

Wonderful thanks for all this info guys. It answers questions I’ve been pondering for years. I will get into the habit of shuttling with the lever only after coming to a full stop. Also good to know the fitters did their job correctly those years ago. I had convinced myself there was some final adjustment needing sorting. But after trying out your techniques I can see how to drive it effectively. As for the heat marks.. that’s a bit embaressing! I failed to notice a missing security bolt in my dipper ram pin. During some enthusastic digging the pin worked out while I carried on digging and the hydraulic force bent the steelwork and ram core. So the heat marks are from a oxypropane torch while I endeavoured to coax it back into its true shape with a sledge hammer.

On the subject of transmission fluid I’ve used red standard transmission fluid as provided by the fitters. Though I read differing opinions on here that 10w oil should be used. Do you think it’s important I should change to 10w oil or am I ok as I am?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”