Artic Steer Backhoe Loaders

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Diggerpete1961
Flag: Great Britain

Artic Steer Backhoe Loaders

Post #1 by Diggerpete1961 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:23 am

Are there any real advantages in Artic Steer or AWS machines over the usual tractor based machines like the 3CX or Case 580. The Army had Muir Hills & Allis Chalmers - much more like an artic front end loader with an added backhoe. The Italians seem to like these AWS / Artic steer machines - seen here & called a 'Terne'. https://www.mmtitalia.it/macchine_edili/ Are they a better loader/ carrier than the usual 2 small front wheels & 2 large at the rear, perhaps more akin to a tracked shovel, but without the horrendous costs of re tracking?

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Artic Steer Backhoe Loaders

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am

Pete I guess it depends on what application you are going to use the machine for; perhaps some of the smaller artic steer machines may be more manoeuvrable in tight situations but I guess there would be an added expense to these machines as well as its cheaper to make a steering axle as opposed to making the whole machine in two main pieces.

Jeremy

XS650

Post #3 by XS650 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Hydrema artic backhoes have been sold in UK for decades. Never seen one in metal though !
Would imagine they are expensive compared to the all conquering rigid JCB 3CX and hire rates are nailed down .
The British Army bought a big numberof Hydremas at one time .

Craig

xxxhydrema-806-backhoe-digger-loader-81-kj-73.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
Diggerpete1961

Post #4 by Diggerpete1961 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 am

Thanks both for interest. I knew of Hydremera's but not that the Army had them, must have been post the time when MOD supply contracts had to be opened up to whole of EU. Above pic looks like it could be a fair front end loader/dozer. Is the 4CX concept somewhat based on this? There must be some advantage in the set up over the conventional 3CX. The fact that the Italians do something like this but in smaller sizes got me wondering. Venieri Spa have dealers in Ireland both north & south, & have supplied machines to both the Italian & Bangladeshi Armies. I did come across this tyre maker said to be a puncture proof tyre but still with some cushioning solidcushiontires.com/flat-proof-tires/

My ideal would be a capable shovel/dozer, not too wide for narrow lanes, capable of lifting a pallet of bricks on forks, (ideally a quick swap mount - not those awful bucket forks) also capable of 25 mph between sites. I guess I am describing the 3CX compact (or something very slightly bigger) but this is far too new for now! If a mini digger is bought then you need say £7K+ for a tow vehicle, nearly £2K trailer. I think this is money better spent on the actual machine?
I take the point regarding JCB in the home market & the spares back up. I see that there is a fim based Hartlebury Kiddiminster doing spares - they are really the old IH dealer - Saville Tractors. Anybody ran a AWS 2CX on here? Granted it is 21.5 mph though. I do see that there is not now a small crawler built that is non hydrostatic - even Dressta have gone this route. I do fear the complexity of this drive for a one man band though.
I part owned & drove a 3C 111 up until '06, put 3600 hrs on it. Have pics somewhere

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”