Staliser ram rebuild.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Rothers
Flag: Great Britain

Staliser ram rebuild.

Post #1 by Rothers » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi, just a quick question but I have the barrel off the stabilizer ram and now I need to remove the piston so I can replace the seals.

Is the piston held in place by a Allen bolt which is under the seals?

Thanks in advance.

Sam.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Staliser ram rebuild.

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi,
It's not an Allen bolt under the seal, but a dowel.
The dowell will have a threaded hole tapped into it so that you can insert a bolt to pull it out. JCB also use Threadlock or Loctite to secure the piston nut and gland seal, (end cap), housing. These are usually very tight and difficult to undo.
You may have to use heat on them to release the Loctite bond.
Don't over do the Loctite when reassembling. Just use it on the last few, (3or4), threads.
If I remember rightly the torque settings were about 500 ft. lbs for the piston and 300 ft. lbs for the gland seal housing. :?: :?:

Topic author
Rothers
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Rothers » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:36 am

Hi
Thanks very much for your answer to my question.

When I reassemble the piston to the rod how do you get the dowel to line up with the hole in the rod? Do you just drill a new hole or do you mark the piston and rod before removal?

Thanks in advance.

Sam.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Rothers wrote:Hi
Thanks very much for your answer to my question.

When I reassemble the piston to the rod how do you get the dowel to line up with the hole in the rod? Do you just drill a new hole or do you mark the piston and rod before removal?

Thanks in advance.

Sam.

If fitting new rod and or piston nut they are not pre drilled, so they had to be drilled. The advice was to drill at 90 degrees to any existing hole.
Because the nut is so tight it is always difficult to hold the rod when undoing or tightening the nut. I have done this in the past by removing the back bucket pin and pressing the bucket firmly on the ground. Then securing the rod to the bucket with a pin or bar through the bucket pin hole and supporting the nut end of the rod on a stack of blocks. This will hold the rod and allow you to achieve the tightening torque required.

Fred

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”