Stabilizer leg pin.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Rothers
Flag: Great Britain

Stabilizer leg pin.

Post #1 by Rothers » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi, I have a leaking ram on one of my stabiliser legs of my 1990 grey cab 3CX. I spent a few hours getting the seized retaining bolt out but I then tried to knock the bottom pin out and after a great deal of effort with my 14 lb hammer it won’t move a mm?

I reolise this is pretty straight forward on paper but any advice would be welcome.

Regards

Sam.

essexpete

Re: Stabilizer leg pin.

Post #2 by essexpete » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:31 am

Is it solid?

super6954
Flag: Canada

Post #3 by super6954 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:21 am

Hi Sam
From my experience with an older machine that worked in salty materials, The pin could be seized either side where it goes through the pin bosses on the jack leg, or in the ram eye bushing inside the leg, or even both. I'd try heating the outer bushings cherry red with a big oxy acetylene torch set then when its kinda cherry red cool right down with cold water. You may find the rust starts bubbling out the pin holes as you cool it. Then using a correct sized bar as a punch try driving it out. you need a big set as it's going to use lots of gas to heat it right. You can also add penetrating oil and work back and forwards if it starts moving to free it more.

you might get lucky the first time and it comes out. Do not try driving the pin while hot you can heat seize the pins in as it cools and binds up on the pin if it moves.
A buddy of mine did that with a 2" pin on his massey backhoe, I got the " help call" it took me 3 more goes with heat to try get the pin to move, and beat on it for 45 mins with a 14lb hammer and 2" shaft to get it out, there was massive scoring on the pin when it came out. not using the right sized punch can dish or bur the stuck pin end making it tighter as it kind of rivets it in the boss to.

On one leg on my machine it was seized in the middle to on the ram bushing, to get that apart I had to cut a piece out of the bottom of the leg, then get in there with the cutting torch, and cut the pin inside the ears that hold the pad on to get it apart and drive the stubs of the pins out , then weld the bit back in after. one of my top pins was cut like that to get the ram out , I then had to drill the stubs through and burn them out with the torch as they wouldn't drive out still after heating and cooling they had rusted in so bad.

I don't think its your problem as nothing moves, but sometimes the ears on the pad can wear into the pin and as the weight hangs on the pad it will lower the lug into the groove kind of like a circlip /snap ring holding the shaft so you can't drive it out without getting the pad lifted up and in the right place for the shaft to slide.

Hopefully that helps you, it took me 5 hours to do 1 of mine, and a lot of oxy acetylene, the on paper theory is the best one, practically it's very frustrating if it was a pig like mine was. There is no real easy answer to working on some machines, I do it for a living !
Regards Robert

Topic author
Rothers
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Rothers » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:55 am

Thanks to essexpete and super6954 for your replies it is much appreciated!

I eventually got a friend who works on plant for a living to heat the pin up then use a 60tonne press to push it out.

Thanks, Rothers

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Good news ! The reason I asked if it was solid (and it obviously was) is because sometimes pins can wear a shoulder that make removal a right PITA.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”