3CX backhoe stripdown

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Greg@Hilltop
Flag: Great Britain

3CX backhoe stripdown

Post #1 by Greg@Hilltop » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:07 pm

My 1990 Project 7 3CX with Extradig generally works fine but has fair amount of play in the backhoe. I thought a good winter project would be to strip it down from the bucket end inwards and inspect/replace pins & bushes as I go. I beleive you can extend it out and chock up various sectons, cap hydraulics as you work and drive forward as each section freed up. Is this possible?
Will I need special tools to remove pins/bushes or massive lifting gear beyond good trolley jack?
Any advice much apreciated.

topkit

Re: 3CX backhoe stripdown

Post #2 by topkit » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:50 pm

I did the very same to a project 7 that i had earlier this year, i would get yourself some decent pallets they make an ideal rest for a backhoe, take care as you knock pins out and watch for what the are attaching/ detaching as it may be pretty heavy. I would kake sure that you have plenty of shims ready and the extending dipper sliding kit nuts bolts and plastic slides unless you are buying new bronze ones. Also drain the king post down and re-fill with a decent HD90 gear oil. Is the king post good or are you planing to change it, If you are there is a king post change hread on here. Also there is a 3CX manual download on this site and that will show you the various support points for the backhoe. :thumbup:

Topic author
Greg@Hilltop

Post #3 by Greg@Hilltop » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:11 pm

thanks David. To the uninitiated what shims are you refering to? Do you have a view on material for slidders? Is there any special tool for removing pins/bushes or just large sledge? Thanks again, Greg

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:41 am

Keep us posted with some photos if you can.

topkit

Post #5 by topkit » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:51 pm

I would get plenty of cans of plus gas ans squirt liberal amounts around everything that you want to undo first of all, i use a drift to knock pins out, i also use wooden wedges to hold rams in place if i am removing their pins, with regards to the slide rails i would use the plastic ones, i would not be able to justify buying the bronze ones unless a were using the machine every day. On the bucket linkage you often get a bit of sideways play so i just use varios hims to take up the worst of the play, you will find lots of varios sizes and thicknesses on ebay.

Topic author
Greg@Hilltop

Post #6 by Greg@Hilltop » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:00 pm

This is possible a novice question but here goes: Given the relative prices of the pins and bushes, is it the bush that is supposed to wear and be replaced or the pins? I read much about different metals and types of hardeneing of the wear surface. For casual user does this matter? What is the best way to gauge where the wear has occoured and what is acceptable? Also what is so special about "blue" grease? Apologies for loads of questions!

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 pm

The bush should wear but I expect there will be pin wear as well. Sometimes if there has been neglect the bush will rattle around in the housing collars/boss as well. Probably order a bush or two and see how the old pins sit in the new bushes.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”