My JCB 3C mk2

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Chgclassics
Flag: Great Britain

Re: My JCB 3C mk2

Post #11 by Chgclassics » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:40 pm

essexpete wrote:Probably need to run right through the fuel system to make sure there is not any gunk blocking.

I did that this morning. First port of call was check the fuel pump was pumping. So I removed the pipe from the filter and cranked her over. Nothing! Removed pump and dismantled it and oh my, what a load of crap there was in the pump! I managed to find a pump in my store room at work that had a top half extremely close to the original, only difference being the inlet and outlet are in a straight line, instead of at 4 and 7 o clock.

All put back together and now she runs better than before! I’ve left the bonnet off for tonight and put a tarp over her. I need to devise a way of making a new bonnet hinge.

Also figured out the wire from the alternator to the dash is broken somewhere. Supplying an earth to
The bulb holder makes the front and rear ones illuminate with the ignition on. Well, after I ‘found’ the rear one and replaced the bulb holder! I’ve also drawn myself some notes and mini diagrams so tomorrow I can see if I can get some front and rear work lights working. These nights drawing in are not good when one has soil to shift! 20 tons of hardcore is being delivered in the morning and I had to finish preparing the site by torch light!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Chgclassics

Post #12 by Chgclassics » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Oh, ps, I had to use a new top to the fuel pump because one of the valves destroyed itself :( I also managed to pop to a local hose makers and purchased some clear plastic pipe to remake the return from injector 4 to the fuel tank. AND I finally managed to fit my stop cable so no more coat hanger!

topkit

Post #13 by topkit » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Good job done there, i used to have a 1977 mk2 3C, i ran out of diesel and did the usual refilled bled and it wouldn't start so i fitted a new lift pump changed the filters and it still wouldn't start, i dont know if yours is the same but mine had a feed from the tank up to the top of the engine fuel lines, i detached the plastic pipe and blew down it, There was a load plop and rthen diesel started to run out of the pipe so re fitted it and the digger started, The old machines have so much crap in the bottom of the tank, i know of some people that have cut holes in them then washed them out. The wiring is always fun on those 3c's its pretty simple but the wiring goes brittle with age. I would just make up new lengths and run it alongside the original wiring. I would change the oil fairly regularly over the years those engines got a lot of abuse. The brakes are usually pretty poor although mine were good they are pretty easy to sort out there is a couple of good videos on youtube showing the brakes and freeing them off etc. Good luck with the jobs and lets see some pictures of it working, i will look out a few pics of my old one and post for you. :thumbup:

dylanohg
Flag: Wales

Post #14 by dylanohg » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:10 am

Hi there. New membet & 1st post on here. I have a 1975 3c. Is that a mk2? It’s it pretty good condition considering age, are there any links to the brakes on youtube?
Been looking but im not sure if I am looking for the right thing.
Speak soon :)

Topic author
Chgclassics

Post #15 by Chgclassics » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:43 pm

topkit wrote:Good job done there, i used to have a 1977 mk2 3C, i ran out of diesel and did the usual refilled bled and it wouldn't start so i fitted a new lift pump changed the filters and it still wouldn't start, i dont know if yours is the same but mine had a feed from the tank up to the top of the engine fuel lines, i detached the plastic pipe and blew down it, There was a load plop and then diesel started to run out of the pipe so re fitted it and the digger started, The old machines have so much crap in the bottom of the tank, i know of some people that have cut holes in them then washed them out. The wiring is always fun on those 3c's its pretty simple but the wiring goes brittle with age. I would just make up new lengths and run it alongside the original wiring. I would change the oil fairly regularly over the years those engines got a lot of abuse. The brakes are usually pretty poor although mine were good they are pretty easy to sort out there is a couple of good videos on YouTube showing the brakes and freeing them off etc. Good luck with the jobs and lets see some pictures of it working, i will look out a few pics of my old one and post for you. :thumbup:

Thanks. Was a testing day as i had 20 tonnes of hardcore delivered next day and JCB was sat where it needed to be! That and today i had to use JCB to load a 3T dumper to shift it all. Thankfully we now have it all inside when the heavens opened!

I did actually run it out of diesel some 12 months ago. Put more in, bled it and its ran ever since. God knows how! The wiring i will sort. I now have one front working light sorted. Need to get the one on the rear working. I say one on front and rear as two had such back reflectors, they crumbled when i removed the lamps! There is one pretty good one and two ok ones. All have had a coat of red oxide primer, then the reflector had a coat of chrome effect spray paint just to try and help it 'reflect' :oops: I refitted the front one after bolting the lamp earth through the cab rather than under the mounting screw. Worked better than trying the orignal way. I then put power to the output of the switch and hey presto it worked. Just need to get power to the switch now :oops: I did manage to dismantle the switch, find it had half a ton of crud inside it. Cleaned it up (the illumination blub fell off) and now the switch works.

I ordered a new universal oil pressure gauge pipe yesterday too along with the correct brand new fuel pump as a spare. Hoping the oil pressure pipe i ordered has the right ends :oops:

With all these electrics working, I really MUST get on finding more glass for the cab. I have sourced a used fixed window to replace the sliding window frame. I may one day sort out some glass for the sliding frame and put it back. I need to find glass for the front windscreen and the door at bare minimum to keep the weather away from my dash.

topkit

Post #16 by topkit » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum Dylan, if you go on to youtube and just put in JCB 2D that will bring up Matyn Williams who is on this forum and also comes from your neck of the woods, He has purchased a JCB 2D which is smaller than the 3c but has the same engine, Gearbox and Brakes as a 3c, He has several videos on there showing varous jobs that he is doing during his machines restoration they are reall interesting to watch.

James there are several pieces of glass on ebay at the moment for 3c mk2, someone up country put all of the cab glass on Ebay the other day, there is also a JCB 3D MK2 being broken up with cab glass do a good search and you will turn some up quite easily.

A few of pictures of my old 3c mk2 that i sold about 5 years ago.

Topic author
Chgclassics

Post #17 by Chgclassics » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:46 am

topkit wrote:James there are several pieces of glass on ebay at the moment for 3c mk2, someone up country put all of the cab glass on Ebay the other day, there is also a JCB 3D MK2 being broken up with cab glass do a good search and you will turn some up quite easily.

I have only found some 3c mk3 glass which is too big. There is one piece of mk2 glass and thats south from me. I bought the big side window glass and will be collecting that in a weeks time.

topkit

Post #18 by topkit » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Is that the one in Southend he had a few pieces of glass for a mk2, i will have a look as there was a complete set of cab glass that went on ebay on thursday the chap was scrapping the cab and had all of the glass going. I would have a ring round some plant glazing companies as it is just flat plant glass so you may find its not that expensive. If i find anymore on ebay i will post the item number on here for you, ( what area are you from)

topkit

Post #19 by topkit » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Found this one on Ebay the seller doesn't say whether its a mk1, mk2 or mk3 but you may be lucky ebay item 302933765388

Topic author
Chgclassics

Post #20 by Chgclassics » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:06 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jcb-3-Glass- ... 1438.l2649

That one? I was watching it but the guys ended the listing so presume someone messaged him to buy it before auction ran out :(

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”