My JCB 3C mk2

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Chgclassics
Flag: Great Britain

My JCB 3C mk2

Post #1 by Chgclassics » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 pm

I bought this old girl nearly 2 years ago as when we bought our new home we were going to need to do a lot of work. For starters the unmade road to it needed levelling, then the drive had had stone put on it time and time again so much it was 8” higher than the bottom of the garage doors :doh: I then would need to build myself a new workshop and then finally a new house to replace the old one!

Today I gave the old girl a treat and a pressure wash as it’s been so hot it’s dried off nice and quickly. I also intend to go around it replacing bits and pieces. Apart from one burst hose on the dipper ram which I replaced, the dipper ram has a pin hole on a weld so needs repairing. I have however today noticed one of the front loader hoses has split :doh: well, some hoses were replaced before I got it so at least they don’t all need doing :oops:

The front loader has some cracks around the hinge on one side so that needs welding properly. The other sides been done and holds fine.

I’ve also sorted the wiring a bit. I now have an ignition switch again, as before it had a push button on the dash with a quality assortment of bodges! I need a stop cable as it currently has what appears to be a coat hanger stopping it :doh:

I have managed to source a dashboard now which is complete so I can atlast try and make sense of the Reston of the wiring. I can also maybe find out how much fuel it has in at all times! I will need to sort out a set of glass though as otherwise the dashboard will be ruined come winter! I have given a little bit of paint to the cab and general digger whenever I find a spare 5 mins. Anything to help preserve it a bit longer! I would love to remove the cab next summer and weld it up :)

I do have a question though, does anyone know how long the oil pressure gauge pipe should be? Mine was cut when the half of the dash inc the speedo was ‘removed’. So I would like to order a pipe and have it ready for the dash when it arrives :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: My JCB 3C mk2

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi James and welcome to CMN :wave: nice old JCB you have there :thumbup: I would simply measure the outside diameter of the oil pipe to the dashboard and get a small coil of it and cut it to length as required.

Jeremy

Topic author
Chgclassics

Post #3 by Chgclassics » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Hi James and welcome to CMN :wave: nice old JCB you have there :thumbup: I would simply measure the outside diameter of the oil pipe to the dashboard and get a small coil of it and cut it to length as required.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, thanks, the only issue being I wouldn’t have anything to screw into the gauge? Presuming it has a screw on union like most oil pressure pipes. Also, does anyone know the inside diameter for the pipe for the sight tube for the hydraulic oil in the cab? Its a bit dark to go outside measuring.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:19 am

James I am guessing here that the union connectors should be pretty standard I would take the gauge out of the dashboard and look at the connector on the back you should have no issue getting one.

Jeremy

topkit

Post #5 by topkit » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:10 am

Is the pipe that you are talking about 8 ins long plastic with a threaded nut on each end if so i may have one in my workshop. :D

Topic author
Chgclassics

Post #6 by Chgclassics » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:44 pm

topkit wrote:Is the pipe that you are talking about 8 ins long plastic with a threaded nut on each end if so i may have one in my workshop. :D

8 inches sounds quite short, will check length and get back to you :) it would have threaded nuts in each end though!

Topic author
Chgclassics

Post #7 by Chgclassics » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Managed to sort a dashboard now :D it was a mk3 dash but I changed the loom over from mine. However NOTHING works now, not even the ignition light so I don’t have a charging alternator again. Something I NEED to sort soon as it needed a jump start today after running. I’ve found a place to make me a oil pressure pipe which is great. Same place that makes my hydraulic hoses, had topop in after one of the hoses for the front loader decided to leak. All replaced now and fully working again :)

Oh and I desperately need glass before winter now!

Topic author
Chgclassics

Post #8 by Chgclassics » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:56 pm

Hmmmmmm so I obviously need to get the wiring diagram out and check things as the dash it totally not working. Water temp and fuel gauge don’t work, nor the ignition light which means my battery isn’t charging :(

I also need to do something about the bonnet hinge. It’s broken so the bonnet is just balanced on.

Topic author
Chgclassics

Post #9 by Chgclassics » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:19 pm

So today I checked the wiring,

I now have a working fuel gauge although it’s stuck at half even though tank is full to brim. Temp gauge doesn’t work although it’s connected so need to test by grounding wire. I still cannot get the dash light to illuminate for the charging circuit, the wire from the alternator appears to be brown with a black tracer, the only ones in the loom that come to the dash are a pair that go together, they come out the other side of the multi plug as a single wire. This goes to a single bulb holder. The other wire on the bulb holder has an ignition switched live. I think I’m going to have to run a new wire in the loom for it :(

Now my biggest problem. I was using the 4 in 1 bucket to scrape off/level some ground. I then moved some soil with the front bucket. Came back for another load and on idle, she would then pickup for a few seconds, then idle again. This carri d on for a few minutes. I then got in her to move the soil. Put my foot on the clutch and she cut out. I haven’t tried starting her again as I need to charge the battery :( I NEED to get her moved tomorrow as 20tons of hardcore is gonna be dropped off Friday morning :O

Any ideas?

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Probably need to run right through the fuel system to make sure there is not any gunk blocking.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”