Perkins phaser 1004 in 3cx running bad

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
davewe11s

Perkins phaser 1004 in 3cx running bad

Post #1 by davewe11s » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:15 pm

I have a grey cab 3cx with a perkins 1004 phaser engine. I rebuilt the engine about 15 running hours ago. Learning alot from here, youtube and the workshop manual. To my surprise the engine started perfectly after bleeding through and sounded like a new engine with almost no smoke.
I went to start the machine yesterday after it had been running perfectly the day before, it started instantly (And still does) however lots of white smoke and sounds like it is missing.
I have disconnected each of the injectors in turn, this doesn't seem to have any effect, I have pressure tested them and they fire at the right pressure. I can't see how the timing could be out, it is fitted with a lucas cav dpa and the marks are still aligned and the shaft is splined so it can't be put on incorrectly.
There is no signs of coolant or metal particles in the oil. It hasn't lost any coolant since the rebuild. The valve train looks good still right tolerances.
Any suggestions or is it head off and check the valves next?

Thanks for your time.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Perkins phaser 1004 in 3cx running bad

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:35 pm

davewe11s wrote:I have a grey cab 3cx with a perkins 1004 phaser engine. I rebuilt the engine about 15 running hours ago. Learning alot from here, youtube and the workshop manual. To my surprise the engine started perfectly after bleeding through and sounded like a new engine with almost no smoke.
I went to start the machine yesterday after it had been running perfectly the day before, it started instantly (And still does) however lots of white smoke and sounds like it is missing.
I have disconnected each of the injectors in turn, this doesn't seem to have any effect, I have pressure tested them and they fire at the right pressure. I can't see how the timing could be out, it is fitted with a lucas cav dpa and the marks are still aligned and the shaft is splined so it can't be put on incorrectly.
There is no signs of coolant or metal particles in the oil. It hasn't lost any coolant since the rebuild. The valve train looks good still right tolerances.
Any suggestions or is it head off and check the valves next?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Dave and welcome :wave: I would be looking at fuel starvation or sucking air, also disconnect the air cleaner system from the inlet manifold and run the motor is it the same then? Hope this helps please let us know how you get on.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Could you have some water contamination in the fuel?

Topic author
davewe11s

Post #4 by davewe11s » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:22 am

Hi guys thanks for your quick responses, I have posted a short clip on youtube and linked below (hopefully I'm allowed to do that). The air system is disconnected, which made no difference and there doesn't appear to be any water collection in the bowl. The fuel lift pump prime lever feels hard and when pressed you can hear fuel returning to the tank. When I had the injectors disconnected, I turned the machine over and there were good 1/2 inch spurts out of all the feed pipes.

I will drain the diesel tank down and check the lines (and fuel), I have previously had dirt in the tank to first filter hose but that completely starved the engine before but worth a check.

Thanks again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Dkg3WJpLQ

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:24 am

David before you go to extreme lengths try running the engine on a gravity feed from a separate clean fuel supply let us know how you get on.

Jeremy

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am

I have just looked at your Youtube clip although it is very short the engine did not sound like it was sucking any air into the fuel system and did not sound bad to me, have you tried to give it a longer run to warm up and then see if anything changes? I am wondering if the white smoke is simply condensation in the exhaust silencer? The engine may just be settling in to the new components that you have fitted, she starts okay so I would give her a good run and see if the smoke clears when she warms up.

Jeremy

Topic author
davewe11s

Post #7 by davewe11s » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi Jeremy

Thanks again for the advise, before reading your post I had already started to drain the diesel down so finished, removed the rubber hoses and blown them out, and refueled from a new barrel. This has made no difference and there didn't appear to be any issues with the lines or fuel.

Do you mean gravity feed direct to the pump? So missing out the lift pump and filter?

I just let the machine run for 15 minutes stoped it and restarted taking a longer video. As you can see its still running the same. If it was just new components I would have expected it to have run like this from first start, however it was running perfectly with no smoke at all.

Thanks again for your time

Dave

Longer video, after being run for 15 mins,
https://youtu.be/DCje_-lpSko

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:34 pm

It does seem odd that it started ok and ran smoothly initially. It is running like an older engine on could start up. It sound like a turbo engine? Could the turbo be leaking a drop of oil into the inlet manifold?

Topic author
davewe11s

Post #9 by davewe11s » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:15 pm

You are right it is a turbo. I removed the housing between the turbo and the inlet manifold, which was dry, no signs of oil. I also started it with the housing off to see if it had any effect, which it didn't. Also confirmed the turbo was pushing air.

Am I right in saying that if there was an issue with the injection pump the machine would be difficult to start?

Thanks

Dave

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:24 pm

I would have thought the fuel side must be set up reasonably well to fire almost instantly. I am not an expert. One thing that would cause smoke and uneven running is poor compression and particularly on one cylinder. I suppose the engine would start reasonably easily with a fault on one cylinder given that ambient temp is not low at the moment. Have you tried backing off each injector pipe to see if one cylinder is doing less than the others?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”