Perkins phaser 1004 in 3cx running bad

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Anton_Chigurh
Flag: Guam

Re: Perkins phaser 1004 in 3cx running bad

Post #31 by Anton_Chigurh » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:58 pm

gecko.cx wrote:
Anton_Chigurh wrote:Can anyone tell me if this http://www.moteur-perkins.com/uploads/catalogue/lettre/notice/perkins-manual-al.pdf is the manual for the engine in my machine? A 1989 grey cab non turbo sitemaster.

The 1004 in my '97 3CX does not look like the engine pictured in your manual.

First thing - does your engine number start with "AA"?

Hi, Yes, AA

Anton_Chigurh

Post #32 by Anton_Chigurh » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:09 pm

UnclejakeNZ wrote:
Anton_Chigurh wrote:....3cx and whilst it runs fine, it cranks for quite a while before it starts. This is only from a cold start. It starts easier when warm. .

Have you checked the wiring to the pre-combustion heater on the top right hand side at the front of the engine?

My 1988 has that wire present and I've never had a reason to check anything on the circuit as my engine starts instantly, so unfortunately I can't offer much other advice (except to check the workshop manual which can be downloaded from this forum).

Where exactly could i find this? I am new to a machine of this kind & trying to work my way through the various issues whilst getting the work I need done at the same time. When you say the front right.. I assume you mean the off side.. side the lift pump is on? I dont see any pre heater connection anywhere there but maybe I am missing it. I do however have 2 wires on he opposite side that I do not know what they do. See photo

Anton_Chigurh

Post #33 by Anton_Chigurh » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 pm

Anyone?

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #34 by agrimax » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:23 am

Those are coolant temperature sensors. One for the temp gauge,one for the temp warning light/buzzer. Can't remember exactly but think the one circled in red is for the gauge.
The glow plug/heater,if fitted,would be on the inlet manifold. Would have a steel pipe and wire attached to it. Back,right hand side of the engine,usually on the elbow or adapter that the air filter rubber hose attaches too. It really shouldn't need it to start unless it is exceptionally cold....

Anton_Chigurh

Post #35 by Anton_Chigurh » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:46 pm

agrimax wrote:Those are coolant temperature sensors. One for the temp gauge,one for the temp warning light/buzzer. Can't remember exactly but think the one circled in red is for the gauge.
The glow plug/heater,if fitted,would be on the inlet manifold. Would have a steel pipe and wire attached to it. Back,right hand side of the engine,usually on the elbow or adapter that the air filter rubber hose attaches too. It really shouldn't need it to start unless it is exceptionally cold....

Thanks for the information. The glow plug /heater you mentioned is there and seems ok but I will have to have a more thorough check of it & the wiring. Where is my thermostat located ? As i said, new to this machine and feeling my way through the various issues. My primary issue is hard starting. Its not a fuel delivery issue as I have gone through the entire system apart from the gauze / filter that is apparently located in the injector pump but the previous owner said he had the pump rebuilt. The machine has a Mahle AZF4147 12V 4.2kw starter on it.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #36 by agrimax » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:53 pm

The thermostat should be inside the housing directly above the sensor you have circled in green. Your engine should really start instantly without any heat with that particular starter on it. Wonder if your fuel lift pump has become weak?

Anton_Chigurh

Post #37 by Anton_Chigurh » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Agrimax. I replaced the lift pump with a new one. Made no difference. I completely drained the fuel tank & cleaned it internally with bicarbonate of soda & distilled vinegar then added an additional inline filter. Made no difference. Battery has been replaced too. Any other ideas?

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #38 by gecko.cx » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:10 am

Looking at it logicly, you need three things to start a fire - fuel, air and an ignition source.
For a diesel, the ignition source is the compression - if the compression is low, it will be hard to start.
The injector spray pattern / fine atomisation also makes a big difference to the "ignitabiliy" (is that a word?) of the fuel.

Anton_Chigurh

Post #39 by Anton_Chigurh » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:33 pm

Valid points Gecko. How would I go about testing the compression ? As for the injector spray pattern.. What would have changed that though? It always starts, just chuggs like a steam train trying to get moving before it does.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”