Perkins 4236 saga continues

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Perkins 4236 saga continues

Post #1 by Whitlock 505 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:08 am

Just to update you on the saga of the rebuild! And hopefully people can take learning tips from our mistake :dizzy: Having never attempted any gearbox or engine rebuilds before I saw this as a challenge and after methodically going through all the rebuild stages with the owner, I.e crank regrind, new rings, new oil pump fitted, eventually new rocker shaft new rocker arms (after the malpas online debacle) everything was in place to repatriate the engine with its 3cx home, we used a massey ferguson 390 tractor fitted with silage clamp to lift the engine back in, dropping a perkins engine back in and trying to line up the torque converter with the gearbox drive shaft was no mean feat and eventually after a couple of hours and reslinging the tirfor it was in and we bolted up the engine to the bell housing, we refitted all the ancillary parts back on, lift pump ,water pump, new tacho drive, new tacho cable, starter motor etc! Eventually it was time to attempt to start our labour of love as it had now become, the massey was hooked up to provide a donor jump battery to provide additional battery power, we all crossed our fingers and turned the key, good sign the engine turned over, no crash or bang or valves push rods colliding, brilliant we thought :claphands: diesel was up to the injectors, smoke was emanating from the exhaust but why won't she fire up and breathe herself?, i know the pump timing hasn't been altered because we never touched that as it came off with the back plate of the timing case, much head scratching and disappointment sandwiches and a few ciders on the warmest day of the year my son said it has to be the pump timing, can't be I said we never touched it and there's a keyway on the shaft so its gone on in exactly the same place, now here's the funny annoying part........ By a strange twist of fate there was a round dot on the diesel pump gear drive and after stumbling across a youtube video while eating the sandwiches it hit me :doh: on the diesel pump gear drive there was a number as I thought, 241, that's got to be a casting number right? Well it turns out after watching the video that the 1 is actually a timing line, this is where our problem lies i think and that's why it won't start, close but no cigar :D now I have to take off the timing cover remove the pump gear and when the timing marks line up replace the diesel pump timing gear with the correct timing mark and fingers crossed we should be in business :thumbup:

Will let you know.........

Oh and the other mishap :doh: the hydraulics on the loader were creeping and it smashed the front window of the cab :thumbdown: , you learn by your mistakes they say :thumbup:

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Perkins 4236 saga continues

Post #2 by agrimax » Sun May 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Do not remove the pump gear. The fact that you have turned the engine over and hopefully not biffed any valves with the pistons would suggest the timing not to be far out. Take the timing cover off and turn the engine by hand and see if you can get the camshaft,crank and idler gear timing marks to line up.It takes 18 revolutions of the crank to line them all up each time.If you get those three gears' marks to line up and the pump gear is out,remove the middle idler gear and turn the pump gear to suit the mark between it and the corresponding mark on the idler. IIRC, there should be one line on the pump gear that goes in the middle of two lines on the idler.Anticlockwise then on the idler should be a single line that centres between two lines on the camshaft gear and then further round on the idler is either another single line or a dot that centres with two dots on the crankshaft gear.

FOWLER MAN

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Sun May 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi Ian,
As Agrimax says, the idler gear will have two dot punch marks which line up either side of the single mark on the crank gear and two pairs of punch marks which then line up either side of a single mark on the cam and pump drive gears.
I can't see where the 124 comes from?? The ones I worked on all had dot marks.
The only lines I remember were on engines with pumps that had hydraulic governors to line up the pump drive gear with it's hub, but they still had dot marks to position the gear.
I don't see how you could have moved the timing but you can always check the static timing in the pump if all else fails.
If you need a hand ring me. I'm not far away and have plenty of time on my hands these days.
Fred

Topic author
Whitlock 505

Post #4 by Whitlock 505 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Well I lined up all the timing marks and then repositioned the diesel pump gear to the correct position with the 241 as per the youtube video and hey it started within 3 cranks!!! Success and a feeling of achievement!

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon May 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Well done that man :bow:

Jeremy

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”