3cx grey cab jack leg removal

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Mabel
Flag: France

3cx grey cab jack leg removal

Post #1 by Mabel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:01 pm

I am about to remove (or attempt to remove) both jack legs on my 3cx grey cab so I can bring them back to Blighty and have them re sealed. After reading various horror stories that this job can entail, I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm getting it in the neck off my wife for leaving oil patches everywhere !
Questions;
Can someone tell me what sized blanking fittings I need for the pipes? The machine is a late 1991 model.
Does anyone near Bagnoles de l'orne know how to do this and fancies earning a few Euros?? That would save me carting the complete jack leg assemblies back to UK.
Cheers
Tony

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 3cx grey cab jack leg removal

Post #2 by topkit » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:01 am

You don't need to cut the legs off to re seal them, i did one of my previous 3cx machines about 4 years ago, i did post some pictures, somewhere in this section search for jack leg re seal or removal stabiliser ram re seal. You just need to do the following.
1. Put the leg down to the ground, Go down to where the foot is atached where it swivels from you will find a nut and bolt ( you will probably need a strong long screwdriver to digg the mud out.
Once the foot is off,
2 retract the ram fully back in then go to the top of the ram disconnect the hydraulic pipes and either wrap a rag around the pipes and i masked off the open ends on the metal ram pipes.
3. I tied some thick rope around the top of the ram, you will now need an extra pair of hands or be imaginative.

4 take the nut and bolt out of the pin at the top of the stabiliser and push the large pin back through carefullynot all of the way through though, i think if i remember i then slipped a smaller drift through it until it went all the way through once i did this there was enough room to also push the rope through with the drift.

5 climb up onto th top of the king post grab hold of the rope and then get someone to remove the drift you will now be taking the weight of the ram, i then just pulled it up and out

6 i then reconnected the ram so i could extend it out again.

7. I then disconnected one of the front bucket tipping rams and fitted the jack leg ram in its place this lets you have a fixed point to pull against when you remove the ram end cap, i had a large spanner with a scaffold tube and the end cap came off easily,

8. Pull the remaining ram out have a bucket ready to catch any hydraulic oil

9. Make a note of how the seals go remove the old ones fit the new ones wipe some oil around all of the new seals and re fit.

10. When putting it b ack in lower it back into the top of the ram housing ten put the drift back through so the ram is hanging on it, re connect the hydraulics then extend the ram back out until it is touching the foot then remove the drift and pop the original pin back in to secure the leg re attach the foot job done,

The other way to do it is dig a hole and drop the whole inner ram leg into it then move the machine lift the leg out of the hole and remove the ram and re seal it.
If i remember correctly i did the job from start to finnish in about 2 hours it's not as bad as it sounds the seal kit will be about £30.00 per leg.
:thumbup:

Topic author
Mabel

Post #3 by Mabel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:08 am

Thanks for the explanation. That is how I planned to do it. However the machine is in very rural France, and if I cant drift out the pins (the bottom pin being the worry...) I would be up the creek without a paddle. That is why I planned to drop the whole assembly out of the bottom. I will of course try the method above before dropping the lot! Would I need to fit a blanking fitting to the two disconnected hoses?

Thanks
Tony

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by topkit » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

I think the title in the original link was 3c 3 leg leaking on retract i hope that helps,

Some people do have problems getting the feet off but where mine had leaked the hydraulic oil had lubed the nut and bolt so it came undone easily. You could soak it once you have the inner leg out.

I would just wrap rags around the hydraulic openings to stop dirt entering the system,

Topic author
Mabel

Post #5 by Mabel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:37 am

Thanks for the advice. Will report back on how I get on.
cheers
Tony

super6954
Flag: Canada

Post #6 by super6954 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Tony
I did one leg ram on my 3D3/5 . The machine had salt and gravel packed down the leg so It wouldn't raise all the way, when I got it. It had been there so long it corroded the 2" rod down to 1.5" in some spots. The bottom pin was seized so tight, i had to cut one side out of the leg to get at the pin. Then torch the pin as it seized in the rod eye and all the heating cooling and beating with another pin and BFH (14 pounder sledge) wouldn't free it. The top pin was the same, but way easier to get at and cut, once the ram was out i still couldn't free the top pin "stubs" from the pin bosses so had to burn those out to. It was all like red neck brain surgery in the end

Good luck I hope your pins come out real easy, mine were just ignorant and it took hours. without a cutting torch and welder to cut the pins and weld the inner leg section back I'd of been in real trouble. My experience ended up at $900 with the new rod from a machine shop, seals, cutting gas and the new pins I made myself.

Regards Robert

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”